EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

OUCH!

After drifting out of EE for a while, i am slowly watching it again. I admit there are some stuff that Kirkwood does better than Santer, but he does have his weak moments.

Kirkwood has created less appealing characters than Santer did. Maybe it was because in 2007, EE needed a revamp, where as now it doesn't. But i can't help but notice that Kirkwood's characters for EE haven't been that interesting...yet.

As for story structure, its an improvement. I admit, the stories are more drawn out and fairer time is given to the characters.

• Members

Thanks for posting that.

I was watching some of the EE Revealed on Whitney (annoying narrator), and in the family tree section, which was a lot of fun, they list Carol's siblings as Max, Jack, and...April.

I guess it doesn't mean she's coming back (if Revealed was the gospel then Denise's other sister would have returned) but isn't it odd that they show her but not Suzy?

• Members

I think the PBS episodes are about at the time of Den coming back.

I remember BBC America dropping the show just before Den showed up as well. There was the build-up, and then they pulled the show from the lineup.

Too bad that story was such a flop. They made Den some creep with no morals at all, which he always had in the 80's, and made Sharon into such a pathetic mess that only lived in Den and Dennis' shadows. Vicki was always atrocious.

I still barf at the sight of Den and Zoe Slater in bed together.

Thank god for Chrissie during this time period.

Maybe Bianca can meet Chrissie in jail and get released during the same time, only for Sharon to return around the same time. :lol:

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

It always gets on my nerves when I think about it as the potential was there, and Sharon/Den and Den/Dennis were fascinating. Dennis was everything wet Ryan and constipated Sean could never be. The show just bungled it by making Den too dark and by not giving him the Vic back immediately. It has been a huge mistake in the long-term because now they are still clinging to the husk that is the Mitchells, and trying to pretend Phil is any sort of powerhouse.

I still remember the scenes where he went around and talked to those he knew when he first lived there. It's funny that, aside from Pauline, they're all still on the show.

I guess this also means they will never bring anyone else back from the dead - another mistake.

Did you hear that

• Members

I remember Den's first scene with Dot the most, and how fast she was to give him her "I ain't one to gossip" line. :lol:

And I think Pat was watering flowers outside of the Vic as Den came back to greet her.

Someone mentioned that it was of great significance that Den died via Pauline's doorstop, as Pauline always had an underlying bitter hated for him.

I wonder if Den's return would have worked better when Sharon was married to Grant in the 90's. The show still had solid writing then, and the 90's were Sharon's growing up years where she came into the forefront more.

I'm glad they never went the Ronnie/Archie route with Sharon and Den. Den did love Sharon to the extent where it seemed like he wanted her for himself at times.

He even said that even though Sharon wasn't his biological child, he could never love Vicki and Dennis the way he loved Sharon.