EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

January 7 2005 - Kate says goodbye.

I still think it was a stupid decision to get rid of Kate. She could have gone anywhere, in any story, as she was not bogged down, and she had easy chemistry with many different sections of the cast. I'm sure someone felt she had no major connections but that is an asset in many cases.

For most of her run (until she started going nuts) I thought Kim Medcalf's Sam was a spoiled bitch and I had little sympathy for her, but her last scene with Kate does make me feel sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAZ2JzKyuKI&feature=related

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Kat's line about "who would want to go into a pub where tears wash the gin" or whatever, was just beautiful. That was also such an Elsie Tanner type of line. I loved that Kat/Jean scene. That's the long type of scene most soaps are terrified of now.

Michael just does not work for me, although he was a little better with Ronnie.

Sam Womack was very good, I'm just so weary of this woe stuff.

• Members

Someone at DS also mentioned that Pete McTighe from Neighbours has also joined the writing team. He was apparently one of Neighbours' best writers and wrote the 6,000th episode there. His first episode is supposedly next Monday.

I wonder what promoted Kirkwood/Yorke to make changes to the story/writing team now.

Kathleen Beedles/Rob Ellis were at River City not too long ago, so I guess someone at the BBC transferred them to EastEnders.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I think this is one of Pat's first ever scenes.

It's funny seeing Kathy visibly upset at seeing Pat. Years later Pat and Kathy would be such close friends. I always enjoyed their friendship.

It's interesting how Pat evolved over the years from the drunken bitch that caused trouble to a more respected member of the community who usually dispenses wise advice.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uLHeAOQOYHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

EE was just so much better at slow-building characterization and character growth. Today you have Shirley, who was supposedly the new Pat, who never really changes at all and they just use her to prop Phil, and pass this off as being about the character. You still have some decent characterization, but nothing like Pat.

I do think Pat became a more iconic character when she found Frank again but I have a soft spot for that vile and fast-talking woman of the first few years. I think the show has taken her back to that slightly in the last year, which is probably why some fans were so upset at her behavior, or her being anything beyond just "Nana Pat."

This is my favorite two-hander.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40YOW3a13uY

• Members

I do think Janine makes many of the same mistakes Pat made in her life. Like always going after money, marrying for money, and being vile to those who care for her. That's why I think their relationship is so complicated when it's explored, because really, I do think Pat sees a lot of her old self in Janine. Janine's life has mirrored some of Pat's backstory, barring the murdering aspects. :lol:

I didn't know the Sharon/Michelle two-hander was up! Thanks.

Letitia's had so many hairstyles over the years. I still think the short-do she had in the early 90's was her best look.

I think both Letitia and Sue got prettier as they aged...

This channel has a lot of Den/Angie/Sharon stuff from 1985-1987:

http://www.youtube.com/user/QueenOfTheVic

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner