EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I generally think she looks best with shorter hair, so the early 90s was her peak. I can't get past those high-rise denim jeans she's wearing here.

I will check that channel out. I think it must be the person who posted so much Den/Angie stuff before and it was taken down. I love those clips. I still miss Endersfan. That was my gateway back into the real EE.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I just finished watching the Sharon/Michelle two-hander from '89. Very good.

It's funny how long they stretched out Vicky's paternity, but it never really felt like it dragged. It made sense for this to be a two-hander, since both Den and Michelle had Sharon in common and loved her so much.

Sharon and Michelle wouldn't get back on track until Vicky almost died of meningitis, right?

Sharon and Michelle might be the best female friendship the show ever had, and I prefer them to their 90's counterpart of Bianca and Tiffany. There was just a lot more depth in Sharon/Michelle as they had grown up together and were such an essential friendship from the beginning of the show.

I've said it before, but I think Sharon and Michelle, probably Sharon more so, successfully helped the show transition into the 90's when many great 80's characters had departed.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I've hated Phil, Shirley and Roxy for eons, though not consistently, but Ronnie ... Samantha Womack is just too damn amazing for me to dislike her. I'll really miss her when she's gone. And hey, if Phil killed Michael I'd have to promise to never say or think anything untoward about him ever again, considering that I'd be eternally grateful.

I'm looking forward to next week with the Masoods back at centre stage.

Edited by Amello

• Members

With only two episodes to her name so far, I can definitively see a change in the way the pacing of each episodes feel with Kathleen Beedles there as Series Story Producer.

The scenes, transition, and pace seem much more slower, toned down, and natural. The conversations and characters seem to work with the plot, instead of being consumed by it.

I liked how Dot's fall brought Kat, Carol, Christian, and Yusef together. You wouldn't normally think they'd all be together in the same scene, but it made sense, and well, everyone knows Dot, so you could understand the concern for her.

I did find it hilarious when Dot was on the floor and Kat, Carol, Yusef, and Christian were talking about her and she said it was very rude to talk about people when they're right in front of them. :lol: I wonder if Lindsey added in her little laugh and well-meaning eye roll after Dot said that line, it was funny.

I don't know if it's Jean being there for Kat to show her more nurturing/caring side, or if it's Kathleen Beedles understanding the character more, but I think Kat is feeling a lot more like she did in her first stint than she has over the past couple of months. There's a lot of layers to the character when they choose to explore it. Kat and Jean have a nice relationship going, their scenes are just great. Kat isn't just bitter and screaming anymore, she has funny/sarcastic side, but her softer moments with Jean and when she was concern for Dot.

Did Beedles do a good job with the women at Emmerdale?

Heather is :rolleyes:, but her on-line dating thing was funny at times.

You know, I actually don't mind Tanya being Syed's fag hag. I thought I would hate that combination, but they work well together in some strange way.

• Members

Beedles run on the show was more about action stuff but there were some emotional moments, like Alice Dingle's euthanasia. I think the female characters were OK, a bit one-note sometimes but not compared to how empty Emmerdale is these days.

Sad:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2011/04/01/eastenders-jim-branning-actor-john-bardon-films-last-scenes-in-albert-square-115875-23029209/

• Members

I will miss Jim a lot, but this needed to be done. I bet John Bardon and the show came to this decision together. They only kept him on the show so long after his stroke because he requested it.

This frees up Dot a lot more too. She only married Jim for companionship anyway, but I bet it will be very sad for her.

It was very unconfortable watching Jim when he was on, and there's only so much they can do with referring he's there, when we know he's not. It's better they write him out.

My guess is they didn't kill the character off out of respect for John Bardon.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Hello All,

I've finally jumped on the EastEnders and Hollyoaks bandwaggon, and I sure am estatic that I did! I'm currently in love with both shows and I have a question: here in the States the Head Writer comes up with the storyline for the show - who is the person who does this for the UK soaps? I see titles in the credits that say "Series Consultant," "Series Story Producer." Would one of these titles be considered the Head Writer?

• Members

Those credits I listed are from EastEnders - the credits for Hollyoaks list "Storyliner," "Story Consultant," - I need to know WHO is the head writer, dang it! LOL. Thanks in advance for the clarification if anyone can give it. :)