EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Do you even have to ask darrah? LOL

2001 was a banner year for EastEnders, perhaps their best year of the modern era. Stuff like Who Shot Phil? The Kat/Zoe reveal, Sharon's return, the Little Mo/Trevor stuff being planted, Dot/Jim and the fallout from Dot helping Ethel euthanize herself, and lots of other stuff.

The Who Shot Phil? reveal was the most watched soap episode of the 00's, and the Kat/Zoe story and reveal is EastEnder's defining story and moment of all the 00's.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I love how shameless the BBC was with propping itself in this 90's promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vFJ-uzO0v-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And these two promos look like they're from 2001 from some cable channel:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lcg-hVT0sT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q4TUY4OyjcM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10th anniversary BBC trailer:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TlaXq4Z5GpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I haven't seen that BBC promo in ages - the last time was before they got rid of Endersfan on Youtube. I love that promo a lot, it's just so much fun and so creative (although it's a little too long). I love that the subtitles are 'Enders dialect.

I love the Dallas-style promo for the tenth anniversary. Given how campy Sharon was it's a nice fit.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

It wasn't Australian, Carl. The English voice over guy kinda gives it away...

It's a bit complicated to explain exactly what Home Choice was. It was part of the Talk Talk brand that did video-on-demand via the internet, and in 2003 it expanded (as Home Choice) to include the majority of Freeview channels.

Echo Point was an Aussie soap made in 1995 for Network Ten to rival H&A. It bombed. It apparently was bought over here by one of the ITV affiliates, Central, and apparently only aired in that region after A Country Practice ended.

• Members

Echo Point was a Sydney based Australian soap opera produced by Southern Star Productions for Network Ten starring Off the Map's Martin Henderson (IIRC he quit Shortland Street and moved to Australia to do Echo Point). It lasted for around six months in 1995.

• Members

Tanya's mother and sister are on the way to Walford. The mother does look like Tanya - an older version.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a310006/eastenders-confirms-tanyas-mom-casting.html

Tanya has always been from trash, so it will be nice to see some of this brought up again. And I love Rainie!

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

That's a part of it, yes. :lol: I do think we will get some sort of mother/daughter reconciliation, and that's fine, as long as it is reinforced that Tanya is a self-loathing woman who looks down on others because of her background. I can't take her strutting around Walford as the self-crowned queen, although I disagree with those who say this is new or she has been "ruined". She's been like this for years, they are just making it more upfront now.

I am glad that they are going to have more focus on mother/daughter relationships, as they did earlier with Carol/Bianca. This is something soaps don't seem to care about anymore.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Caught up with Thursday and Friday. Both were absolutely brilliant. IA with you guys.... the actor playing Rob is magnificent; I can see him as both a really great, nice, sensitive guy and a villain--often at the same time. Whitney's great in all of this and Janine has always been a fave, but this is earning her some major points. Very, very exciting stuff.