Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’m really proud of the way they handle the “consent” story of Amy.

BUT Aaron was the wrong character to chose for that story. I mean we followed him through that annoying Summer-Baby Stuff and saw such a good guy.

I know that under influence of alcohol or drugs you are not in your right mind and do things u normally wouldn’t. But this was so unnecessary to ruin Aaron’s character like that.

i feel sorry for the actor that he had to keep up months with Summer’s story just to be turned into a rapist !

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

In 2021 it was estimated that the average episode of Corrie costs 141,000 pounds, (which works out to $175,000) - 1/3 of the cost goes to the writing staff and actors - https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/how-much-emmerdale-coronation-street-5178636

By comparison (just for shits and giggles), in 2010 Days of our Lives spent $150,000 per episode, with a smaller cast and much less expensive sets. - https://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/TV/2010/1013/Soap-operas-All-washed-up/(page)/2

But, the acting, writing, and production of Corrie are so superior that it boggles my mind.  Just watch this one scene and try to argue that the two shows are comparable enough even to be considered in the same genre.  This is part of the reason that 5.5 million people watch Corrie weekly, and 1.7 million watched DAYS during its final season on NBC.

Bravo Corrie!

Edited by j swift

• Members

Well Corrie is on at 8pm at night so there are far more viewers available so I don't know that comparing those numbers proves much.

Also the whole production set up is completely different in the UK so that budget may be buying more in terms of filming time, rehearsal etc

Not defending Days in any way, just saying...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

The soap awards proofed to me that EastEnders and Coronation Street Are definitively the two most hyped and beloved shows tbh. 
We waited for the stars before the show and two actresses made a picture with me WITH MY PERSONAL IPhone.

and one was THE ONE AND ONLY Charlotte Jordan who even won 3 awards for her work on Corrie later on. I’m so hyped that I got her to take m phone and she even joked: but when it breaks, don’t hate me! _ She Even had her champagne glass in her hand while doing the pictures with me and my mom. second one was Sally Ann Matthews (Jenny)… Oh my god. I didn’t expect her to be that nice and good looking in real life haha

The most hilarious thing was when Stephens actor was shown and me and A LOT of people booed him lol he is really disliked and hated

Edited by AMCOLTLLover

• Members

That's heartbreaking to hear. Julie had a tough life, but battled to become a national icon. She always had the utmost respect for Corrie and for its fans. I can't ever imagine Corrie without thinking of her. I hope she will be well taken care of.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Hey, I don't post here & I don't watch CORRIE but I got a transcript of what Sarah Lancashire said about it the other night when she won NTA "Special Recognition". So I thought I'd share it with you. It is just a fabulous shout out to how great soaps can be. At the first she's referring to Sir Ian McKellen who is standing right beside her.

• Members

This past week Sarah Lancashire won Britain's highest TV honor the NTA's "Special Recognition". She gave a remarkable shout out to Corrie & to the value of soaps: 

This is the transcript. At the first she is referring to Sir Ian McKellan who is standing beside her.
Question: “Obviously a lot of people remember you on Coronation Street where it all began. A lot of people dismiss soaps sometimes. Do you feel like your career is proof almost of just how powerful soaps can be to someone’s career and how you can go on to such amazing things?”
Sarah: “[Well I’m not the only one who has been in a soap! The same one!] When I was in Coronation Street we had a phenomenal writing team in the Nineties and every soap evolves, every decade and my decade was blessed with Paul Abbott, Sally Wainwright, Frank Cottrell Boyce, Julian Roach, John Stevenson, Ken Blakeson. The directors I worked with: Julian Jarrold, Julian Farino. It’s one of the best training schools in the world, it really is, but the calibre of people you are working with and in such an immediate fashion, is extraordinary and so truly, I am very proud of my four years in Coronation Street. I’m very proud of them. I was terribly lucky to work with extraordinary people.”

Please register in order to view this content