Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've been rewatching a few discs from the Region 1 DVD box set of 70s episodes over the last two or so weeks and really immersing myself in all things classic Corrie again. I'm really considering splurging on a universal DVD player and ponying up the cash to by the bigger 80-episode box sets released by Network. Y'all think it would be worth it? Do those DVD players actually work as they're supposed to?

• Members

Sounds Amazing! If you ever get to scam and have it on computer archive I would just love a copy, I would buy so many things if they were available where I live, This, The Brother (1972 -77) and General Hospital (1972 - 79) are among my most ambitioned NETWORK releases, oh and The Doctors Site, well I'm talking too much, I also wonder if the Corrie Box is Worthy It, I would like to watch early episodes with Patricia Shakesby, Whom I Loved on War and Peace (1972) and Howard's Way (1985 - 91), IN good quality 

Edited by Joseph

• Members

Hope wants to make Tyronne pay for leaving the family… I really have to say that I’m not fond of revisiting the John Stape story but to show that Hope seems to have earned some psychopathic genes is quiet interesting! Tyronne has to watch out

Please register in order to view this content

Spider‘s return left me a bit puzzled and quiet dissapointed. But now it starts to grow on me now where the sad break up with Toyah happened and his real undercover work inside the far right group! That story excites me the most. I will vote for Corrie next year in every category there is.

Martha‘s return after 13 years (who was just a Reccuring love interest for Ken) really caught me off guard. To see that the 90 year old men William Roache has been featured in 6 episodes straight really surprised me. I love seeing him on Corrie! I’m so scared to lose the actor in coming years. But to see him heavily featured is great

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Griff having a go with Alya is really intense! I really enjoy this story so much coz the actors and actresses rocking it! It’s a shame that it had to be far right story to give Alya something to do. But she is lightning up the screen as always! Would love to see more Alya and less Summer!

I just realized that Nick stole 80K from Audrey back then in 2019 or 2018.. Now her son Stephen is a killer and quiet the con artist. That’s so messed up.

Gail‘s voice annoys the [!@#$%^&*] out of me lately

Edited by AMCOLTLLover

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I hadn't seen the press coverage of Julie's last day at Corrie in 1995 before. I didn't know the set was mobbed with fans and press the day she taped her last scenes (40:05 in), or that brewer Carlsberg did a special commercial in honor of Bet's exit (39:45 in).

It all starts 38:52 in. 

It's in this ITV documentary on Julie that aired in 2002 - not all of it it is flattering to Julie and her ill-fated return that same year btw. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I didn't realize that so much of classic Corrie had made its way back on YouTube. I'm devouring as much 70's content as possible right now. 

It goes without saying, but Jean Alexander is probably the best actress that ever appeared on this show. She could be both funny and heartbreaking effortlessly, and the little things/quirks she infuses into her scenes are so fun to watch. Then you can watch an interview where she's being herself (which seems quite posh and reserved) and you're astounded that the same woman is playing Hilda. 

It's also a shame that many of the classic scriptwriters never get as much credit for their contributions. Tony Warren may have created the show and its setting, but he wasn't directly involved for large chunks of time. Adele Rose, for example, wrote so many classic episodes and seemed to contribute a lot to character development (particularly for the women, namely Bet - she wrote a lot for Bet all the through to her 1995 exit). 

• Members

It really does - many of the key characters just pop off the screen. If often doesn't matter too much what the overall plot is. There's great re-watchability too as I had already seen many of the scattered episodes through the years.

Also makes you wonder why these shows suck so much today and lack of budget is given as one of the primary reason why. Corrie of those days looks like it didn't have much of a budget at all, but that didn't matter. The characters and stories were so engrossing. 

I'd rather feel something for the characters (like for poor Bet when Mike was a total [!@#$%^&*] to her in the below clips) than watch soaps try to be spectacles or horror movies.