Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sucks that he gets a promotion even though he's a complete and total hack. I just hope this means that with him being moved to a higher position, that we will get a new EP for Coronation Street, sort of like how they have Kate Oates over BBC dramatic programming, but Chris Clenshaw is the EP of EastEnders. 

• Members

I’m guessing ITV has now modelled his new role and structure on BBC’s Soap and Drama department, so he’d basically be doing what Kate Oates does.

I don’t watch enough of Coronation Street to make my own subjective judgement, but enough people say that his stewardship of the show has led to uninspiring output that there must be something to it.

• Members

Corrie's been about the same (not very good/bad with occasional patches of OK) for a long time now - 15-20 years. There are producers like Kate Oates or Phil Collinson who get hype because they replaced producers who were not as charismatic or hyped, but their actual work was still horse [!@#$%^&*].

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Right now, I would say that Corrie does a better job of incorporating social media than any other soap, UK or US.   The use of social influencing, the confusion over parasocial relationships, and now Roy being falsely accused based on internet sleuths are creative ways of using modern communication.  I always think who needs Phoebe Wallingford, or Hilda Ogden, when you've got random folks judging strangers on Istagram?

• Members

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bbc-eastenders-boss-five-word-32376369.amp

Seeing reports that ostensibly nobody experienced or worth their salt wants the producer’s job at Coronation Street.

As one put it, nobody wants to be the middle of a ‘MacLeod Sandwich’ as Verify MacLeod is supposedly going to remain in place, while Iain bears down from his new promoted position.

• Members
Posted (edited)

It's mostly scapegoating. The show has been bad for a long time down to ITV refusing to let anyone make real changes or cut down the episode order.

Edited by DRW50