Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

I started watching Corrie again recently on BritBox (I'm in the July 2023 episodes right now). I noticed Carla doesn't seem to have much of a storyline at this time anyway. I've always gotten the feeling that she's one of the most popular and well-known Corrie characters. It seems strange they are basically using her for window dressing and have toned down her character's audaciousness a lot.

Edited by althea-davis

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I got hooked on Eastenders starting with their June episodes and once I got caught up, I decided to try Corrie. I did attempt Emmerdale, but that didn't grab me. I've watched Hollyoaks on and off for years and it's just awful now which is how I finally landed on Corrie. The first episode I watched was a Paul episode and I kept watching because I remembered the actor from Footballers Wives. Now I've become fully invested in the show (I'm in early August). I'm sad to realize the character who made me interested is likely leaving soon due to the illness his character has. 

Overall I don't find the show to be as good as Eastenders is at the moment, but is still has a few storylines that have drawn me in. In addition to Paul, I love the Ryan story with him dealing with his acid attack and I looooooooooooove Paul's sister and her husband. I also have enjoyed the bits I got to see of Ken who looks amazing for his age. I'd love to see some of his best bits from the past.

The production style of the show is great. Like the other Brit soaps, it has the benefit of regular location shooting and the sets all look real and lived in. The most difficult part for me is that they seem to have a very large cast and it hasn't been as easy to learn who everyone is as it was with Eastenders. I'm just glad to finally have started these two shows. I finally dumped the US soaps. The British soaps may not be perfect, but the fact that they're trying and telling new stories with diverse casts is pretty amazing.

• Members

I read recaps of the US soaps still on TV and I was still watching Days until the truly awful episodes this week, but I think I may just stick to Coronation Street, Emmerdale (I am going to give it a try soon & see if I like it) and Neighbours. The "foreign soaps" just reel me in more despite their flaws. I love the Paul character myself but am also worried he will die soon which sucks because he truly is one of the characters to watch for. I teared up when his ex robbed him. I was so glad when he got the money back!

I love Gemma and Chesney. They're just so real and I like they're not supermodels. I don't mean they're bad looking at all; they're just not you know, Barbie and Ken lookalikes and I like that about them. They feel like real people. I do agree Corrie has a huge cast and I have a really hard time keeping their names and relationships straight. I really do need to see a very detailed family tree, but I fear it would make me more confused lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...