Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Lord. Hollyoaks meets Emmerdale is what I get from that. LOL. 

I guess the UK soaps are responding to "you've been boring" with their yearly end of stunts. Sigh. Sometimes they work, often they don't. At least I guess there's an effort to pull something off but like it's being talked about in the EastEnders thread, it's all about throwing something at the wall, seeing if it sticks, and winning the awards.

The balance and structure remains odd. The interaction is getting better but they used to do such a better job mixing folks and stories. It felt like lots of things were on-going. 

lol it sure does. I assume they'll do a good job pulling it off, more so than the others do, but not sure how to feel. It seems ... desperate

Ironically, Hollyoaks seems to be doing the best job at having multiple stories on-going and the cast interacting regularly. You can tell folks are still in their own bubble but I don't really see the same issues. It helps they have a much much smaller cast I think.

• Members

lol. It has had a lot of rough and bad years, depending on what you like in a soap. It pulls me in and then loses me. I'm watching it the most regularly right now. I look at it a little differently than the other UK soaps. It's definitely more plot driven but I have to say I think they've done a better job with showing characters having motivation which is more than we get from the US soaps ... LMAO.

It does it's thing and it works for them lol

I wish the others had a clearer idea of who they are. And yep, totally realizing the irony of it all.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I feel like they really ... damaged the Duckworth family line by turning Terry so dark.

I also wonder why they don't bring Martin back and put him with Gail. He'd add a lot and I liked his 2018 return. He fit right back in. Is Sean Wilson not interested or unavailable or is the show just not? I mean, they do have a huge cast ...

I feel like they have missed some opportunities to bring familiar faces back, even though we have a lot as it is.

Totally random but as we're talking about familiar faces ....

It's so sad though, I can't see Bet ever 'working' on this version of the show. We're better off with her in our memories I feel. Not that she'll ever return it seems. They bring it up for a tabloid article every so often but it's never serious. They should have done a spin-off.

Well, I shouldn't say 'this version' as it's a lot more palatable and an effort is made to feel like a familiar show so she would actually fit in again now, but the show as it was for so long? I'm glad she avoided that.

Edited by KMan101