Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Absolutely agreed. Classic Corrie is so much better. It has such an 'everyday' feel to it yet there's drama, comedy, etc. It's wonderful. Hell, even the 1998 reruns right now feel light years better although you can see the tone shifting.

I'm watching regularly and the current show is watchable to me. It's like the US soaps for me at this point, I find little things that I like and chug through the rest. 

It helps that the Geoff and Ray stuff ended. I'm really tired of having a bad guy and an abuser (sometimes they're the same) running around for years. I get their insistence that it's "real" and they see it as a service to get the message across, but they soap it up and sensationalize it. They also drag it out. (Kinda like how they use depression after having a baby to make the girl they're less interested in writing for 'crazy', like Zoe hitting Emily)

I'd say the pandemic forced them to sort of go back to the basics. This would be a very easy time for folks to jump in but it's not exactly gripping, either. Hard to explain.

I'd love @DRW50's take. I wouldn't call it 'lethargic' but it's close. I guess I take less offensive, toxic and 'shocking' as a win LOL. I really don't even recognize the show from like 2010-2015 (and the darkening of the show started around 2001)

• Members

Not that they were interested in writing for Gail anyway (I also assume restrictions had been in place) but it was nice seeing her actually smile and be happy as she was leaving. I feel like she's just been so miserable for so long. Isn't it kinda sad I find seeing her smile refreshing? I shouldn't ... lol but the show was doused in misery for so long ...

• Members

Yeah, I can't get into Emmerdale either. I just 'don't see it'. Maybe the old Emmerdale FARM would interest me though.

I'd love to know some good years to try and get into Emmerdale. I want to like it but the show lacks stars and long running characters to me. It also feels very 'stunty' and plot driven. I see they have another murderer offing people. Kim interests me the most on Emmerdale and she's probably leaving isn't she?

Corrie isn't for everyone. Depends what you're looking for I suppose, in a soap. The characters and their interactions in the classic years are what drag me in. But it's not flashy. 

They might like the more plotty and stunt driven era of Corrie.