Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Brian Park fired and chased out quite a few longterm writers during his tenure as EP. Many may have left anyway and whilst the show needed a jolt back then, I wonder if this did more longterm damage than good in the end. Classic Corrie had such vivid characters, each with a unique voice. You didn’t get much of that after Park’s tenure.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

That is true. Brian Park’s tenure seemed like an attempt to keep up with Eastenders and Brookside in the ‘drama’ and sensationalism, which increased the ratings initially, but as was said, ripped the heart (or certain something) out of the show that has never been truly restored.

Jane McNaught’s tenure did even more damage, by going for the throat, with Alma’s death and Toyah’s rape. Though the latter does happen in life, it seemed to be told in such a ham-fisted, jarring way.

British soaps have a tendency to do that. Throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Edited by LondonScribe

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It’s amazing. 

Out of all the shows and their producers, Iain MacLeod was the one with the lowest standing, off the back of his rather bland period in charge of Emmerdale. 

And now, at the end of 2020, Coronation Street is arguably in the strongest position of the 4.

Just goes to show.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The Baldwins seemed to have had a 'resurgence' (YMMV on quality of writing LOL) around 2001-2007 but they haven't done much at all with them since Mike's on-screen death. Adam Barlow is around and he's hot, so that's nice, LOL. He is Mike's son after all so I like his place on the canvas. Thinking back, they were way too quick to off Susan. I didn't really see the point, it seemed just to be a shock death for the sake of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've often thought that it would be interesting to see Sharon and Jenny onscreen at the same time so I'm glad it's actually happening.

Yeah, killing off Susan and retconning her abortion to create Adam was really just a plot device to stir up some conflict for Ken and Mike for the 5000th episode (and that renewed conflict felt a bit contrived coming so soon after Mike and Ken had finally buried the hatchet during the Freshco seige). That being said, I agree that Adam at least has cemented his place on the show.

• Members

Very true. It was really .... WHAAAT? lol. Very contrived. But I'm good with Adam now.

I wonder why they never brought Danny back? He has a whole history with Leanne (who was actually fun when she was introduced way back when). 

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Yeah, he's a game show host and was a regular on Doctor Who amongst many, many other things. He's pretty much had constant work since leaving Coronation Street, unlike other actors who leave and are never heard from again.