HBO: True Blood

EricMontreal22

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, the show is definitely back on track after the abysmal Season 3. Sam (the actor) did a great job portraying Tommy's mannerisms/way of walking etc. It was great fun.

Eric/Sookie are surprisingly hot and fun together.

Gotta love Jessica/Jason.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Talk about a body count! My jaw dropped 3 times in the last couple of minutes: 1) when Bill killed Nan (nooooo!!!!), 2) when Tara got shot....in the head!!! 3) when Sookie actually pulled the trigger on Debbie.

I don't think Tara was killed off either.....at least I hope not.

That was King Russell who was freed from the cement block, right?? If so.......wooohoooo!!!!

DAW finally does a nude scene! I hope she does more next year. :)

• Members

I actually do think it would be in the best interest of Tara's character to just have her die. She's just been so aimless for such a long period of time now that her character means so much less now then it did before. Her character peaked in season two and has steadily gone down hill since. If she survives then she will just become something she hates, a self loathing vampire who broods because she abhors what she was forced into becoming. That is literally the only way her character can move forward and not be stuck in the rut she has been since season three. She's the perpetual victim, her stream of curses not withstanding. I don't see how another season of her being endlessly victimized by others is any better for her then death at this point. The character for two seasons now has just been in a myriad of hopelessness and stuck in the same perpetually self-defeating storylines over and over again. And worse yet she has just become useless. She is removed from Sookie's life now more then ever. She has taken herself out of the Bon Temps enviornment and she doesn't gel with other characters anymore. She didn't even really do anything this season.Her main source of interaction during the last few episodes this season was with a character that was just introduced a season ago, that Wiccan in the fairy costume.

The fan reaction to this season has actually not been too favorable. Lots of fans on twitter, tumblr, facebook, message boards, etc. have been hating the witch storyline, the love triangle between Bill/Sookie/Eric and the main storylines this season. I would say fan reaction is probably at the lowest the show has ever been. A lot of fans hated the Antonia/Marnie villain where as while season three was quite chaotic fans loved Russel and felt that he invigorated his parent season. The fan highlight of season four has been Jason and Jessica oddly enough.

• Members

I think Sookie's fairy powers will kick in and heal Tara. Either that or Bill/Eric will hear her cries for help and let save Tara, possibly turning her into a vamp

I did think the finale was lame though and found the prior episode to be so much more satisfying as a season finale. I think Id have prefered that to be the finale with that Marnie coming to Lafayette as the cliffhanger

• Members

Can Sookie's fairy powers do that? I think you're mixing her up with one of the White Lighters from Charmed. LOL!

Don't forget Jesus. That broke my heart. I like Lala and Jesus together.

Nelsan Ellis did an amazing acting job this season showing Lafayette's various posessions. I wish he could get an Emmy nom for that.

• Members

I actually still think fan reaction was worse last year--at least until Russell came on which did drive the season into focus. To be honest I find True Blood fans more annoying than most--but maybe it's just for personal reasons. I always read ridiculous things like book fans complaining that their beloved novels have been changed so much (I admit, I think the series is 100x better than the rather poor books), a bunch of fans who complain year after year that it's gotten "too gay" (sigh--and double sigh when you actually realize that despite all the male eye candy, camp, and homoeroticism Lafayette and Jesus never even had a particularly explicit sex scene), and just the constant, ever since series 2, that this season isn't as good as the last. It seems even more than most shows many fans prefer seasons in hindsight more than when they happened.

I agree it was kinda an odd finale, although I believe (much like Buffy and Angel sometimes did) they have ended other seasons with the final episode being largely set up for the next season. . Anyway after dropping some shaky early plots, I really loved the season overall, and loved the finale.

I'm certain Tara isn't dead (we do know the actress is back to some extent though she admits she has no idea if it's for flashbacks, a ghost, or what). I love Tara but she does seem to be one of the characters who they really haven't known what to do with--situations and stories start then are dropped etc--but I hope they remedy that next year.

I loved Marnie/Antonia myself, but admittedly largely due to FIona's portrayal (and there's an example of a character being FAR better than the bookswhere she was a simplistic EVIL Witch with absolutely no depth or shades of grey).

I think/hope that we'll see a bit more of Jesus (though not as a regular) since he said that Lafayette being a medium they'd never truly be apart.

I also like nearly all of the setup for next season--the return of some surprising past characters (I actually expected Russell, though I like the clue Alan Ball mentioned about we have to wonder who was strong enough to release him, and was shocked to see that Minister now a vamp), the mutiny from the AVL, Jessica exploring her slutty side (in a twist from the usual male/female relationships), Sookie actually being independant from a man for a while, etc. The only thing that bugged me was Pam being offed.

But I admit, I largely view TB as a fun ride, and some of the details that really rile fans up, and would bother me on other shows, don't here. I can see why some feel the show's cast was too large--I like the variety of characters and stories but it does get ridiculous when you have characters like Sam being on their own little island storywise with Sookie only remembering he's a friend in the finale, etc, etc.

Archived