Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Erica did get a couple of tongue in cheek mentions when Sydney's old flame, Jackson Montgomery made crossover appearances (Sydney snarkily referring to Erica as, "Whatshername").

But to your point, my gut reaction was no way. However, the more I consider it, I think it could have worked for a matter of months, like Rosemary Prinz's favor to Agnes Nixon back in 1970. I immediately thought of the rumored Alexis spinoff from Dynasty and how that would have crippled the parent show. I don't think Our Private World did much damage, while we certainly wouldn't want anything resembling Texas Iris for Erica in The City. But I like the idea of Erica back in New York mixing with Olga and Tess in the modeling industry, dining at Nexus... And the reboot proved what we always knew, that Erica is one of many inimitable PV personalities and the story holds up just fine with her in absentia.

I love Morgan Fairchild and I loved Sydney Chase, so no regrets, but perhaps Susan Lucci would've been the better way to go. One never knows, I mean look at the dud that was the Rae Cummings parade. Star power can only get you so far with tepid storytelling.

• Members

I'd never seen Gwyn #2 in action except for a few episodes here and there. 

For viewers who saw the show in full..how did her Gwyn differ?  I've heard when the original gwen came back..that it was jarring at first...how so?

Plus in the Ava battle... Roya's Ava was an Erica clone...and Lisa's Ava was more Scarlet O'hara....plus I think Lisa matured Ava especially in the final months of Loving...imho

• Members

From what I've seen of Christine's first run as Gwyn, she was more of a camp bitch, albeit one with vulnerability. Savage's Gwyn was pluckier, with a more visible heart of gold. It's like the two versions of the "tough gal" in a '40s movie. There's an episode, dubbed in Italian, where Savage's penniless Gwyn walks the streets to "Another Day in Paradise." Savage's Gwyn was pals with brassy sidekick Norma - Tudor's Gwyn never would have done either of those. 

I think Roya and Lisa were both excellent as Ava, but Roya's Ava was more internalized, colder to the world. I wish more of the episodes she had filling in for Lisa were available.

• Members

I love hearing anything I can about this show. Like James, it's always fascinated me and I've wanted to watch the full run. I watch whatever I can on YouTube. It's been nice to have the Loving murders. As well as the first week of The City to watch.

I was always bummed SoapNet never aired it.

• Members

Not long. I can't remember if I ever saw her. She was supposed to be more blue-collar.

The star power wouldn't have been as prominent for an Erica crossover by 1995, so the writing definitely would have to be top notch. 

The Rae Cummings parade was just stupid, because many ABC viewers likely had little idea who Linda Dano was, unless they were big Attitudes fans (a show that had been off the air for a decade) and then she would breeze into each town being unpleasant and having all this history no one had ever seen or heard of. This is also how the sperm/sexual assault story with Liza and Adam ended with him being put in stocks and getting a pie in the face. Shameful.