Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Christine Tudor! Wow! I can't wait. I hope someone lets her know we've been watching these and marveling at her work all over again. 

And a 'new' upload too. Even better. And this is a strike episode, right? I can never get enough strike episodes. 

• Members

Which character was Colby Cantrell?

Holy cow, Mia Korf is in this episode! @Vee @SFK I see on IMDB that she's credited for a January 1988 episode (I never knew that) but this one isn't listed. 

I know this was discussed before but I still wonder why they replaced this Jeff.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

As I've said elsewhere, I just think it's so neat that these actors are participating in these online reunions for their fans.  It's been just what we needed as we continue to cope with this pandemic.

• Members

I didn't realize just how much effort was going into this Loving reunion - so many cast members from the early years. I don't do Zoom, it's just too risky, but I will try to follow the Q&A. I agree that seeing people take the time to do these is a wonderful gift - far more actors than I ever expected have participated. The genre has become so sour and broken that it's easy to forget about the special gift of a bond between soap performers and soap fans. I guess if any show exemplifies it, it's "the little soap that could." 

• Members

I think these reunions (as well as the Loving Murders uploaded in their entirety) have been a real gift. I hope the response to these events, the classic episodes and the overall need for comfort food for people at home in all walks of life makes some network folks think again about what they have at their fingertips. The fact that ABC is choosing now to run a primetime special about soaps certainly gives me pause.

I am dying to know when the LM culprit was told they were the one. Even a third or so of the way through, with

Please register in order to view this content

having just been killed, there are so many leading looks, lines and performances.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Colby was Rita Mae's niece. I think she comes in late spring or early summer 1984. She's pretty much Curtis next big romantic interest after Lily Slater leaves town. She worked as a buyer at Burnell's department store around the time that Curtis became involved in that division of Alden Enterprises. I believe later she became involved with one of John O'Hurley's characters. I'm thinking it was Keith Lane, the Amourelle chemist who was bedding down with Gwyneth. 

Super stoked to see this group's interview. Interesting to see both Susan Walters and Jennifer Ashe featured in the promotional picture. I know Marcantel has kept in touch through Facebook. 

Because Marcantel's production company is involved, we are seeing people that he has kept in contact with. I'm not really surprised by anyone he's landed so far based on his previous social media, but it is surprising that they all seem to have maintained friendships nearly 30+ years later. The only person I'm surprised is NOT listed is Susan Keith. I know her and Trevor Kiberd seem to pop up a bit in the Marcantel has posted. 

• Members

What exactly happened to Jack #1 again? He died IRL? Was the original story with him and Stacey her as the friend/'ugly duckling' who got him after Lily, or what? I don't know when or how the plans for Jack/Lily died.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Perry Stephens was fired. I think they wanted to change Jack's image or something. He passed away some years later. 

Thank you. 

I hope some of that period will pop up eventually, even if it sounds like a bit of a miss in recaps.

• Members

@marceline I am calling you out! I am dying for your thoughts on the Loving Murders. Just got to the big scenes with Debbi and Darnell near the midway point (after Curtis' death, just before Charles is revealed as Lorraine's old flame) and damn. Sure, Jacob was largely Jesse by another name but it worked, both then and now.

I'm not clear on Jacob's full backstory - something about his wife and son dying in a bombing somehow? What month did he come on in '95? I was always glad AMC never killed him off later on, as I'd grown up watching Angie and Jacob. I like to think he and Lorraine are together in Paris (his last known location), if she didn't patch it up with Charles.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Chances are, if AMC had stayed on ABC, the network would have forced the writers to cook up some cockamamie plot where a suddenly deranged Jacob kidnapped Jesse and assumed his identity in order to reunite with Angie.

• Members

Since the Loving murders have appeared online, a storyline that I'd always been curious about, I'm surprised at how good the show was. And I find the storyline fascinating but wow, if I had watched for twelve years, I probably would not have been happy with the storyline at all. The first, fourth and fifth murders were especially hard to watch because those characters & performers were extremely likable.

Ironically, I think the characters that survived are pretty much all uninteresting and their individual stories don't draw me in at all, not even Angie (who I expected to love). And I'm amazed at the choice of the first murder victim, she was easily one of the most recognizable faces of the show and IMO one of the stronger performers. Why she had to go and some so-so characters made the transfer to the city, is really weird. Trisha's fate is pretty sad too, if you think about it. She didn't even get the chance of mourning the people she once loved because she simply did not remember them. But all in all, I'm more interested in the earlier years of the show than ever.

The performance of the killer, wow. Thumbs up!