Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Members

She flees PV or gets an offer she can't refuse. She already has ties with Angie. It wouldn't be a stretch but the shows were already becoming a mess by 1996/1997 so it's probably for the best. I do think it could have benefitted the show more but there's not much interesting The City, IMO. Watching the first week's episodes on YouTube and it's kind of a snooze.

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Not surprising. In France, Y&R aired on TF1 and B&B on France 2 and B&B episodes were 3 years ahead of Y&R
imagine the mess of the Sheila/Lauren crossover. As a kid, I remember my mother  who could not make any sense of this, and actors were of course not dubbed by the same voices.

• Members

That's interesting. I don't remember it being that confusing, although I was seeing everything the second time around. I lived in France from 1994 to 95 -- B&B aired at 9 am after Loving (I remember it was a stupidly early time for soaps), and the episodes were from 1993, when Sheila was switching Bridget's paternity tests. But Y&R aired at 1 or 2 pm, and the episodes were from 1990, when Cricket and Danny were getting married in Hawaii. Y&R was the more popular show, and most folks I knew didn't watch B&B, so nothing was really spoiled for them. But I imagine anyone watching B&B didn't need to watch Y&R to understand because Sheila's crossover was really self-contained.

The Loving episodes at that time, BTW, were from 1990, around the time Rick was making trouble and then was shot.

• Members

Wow. You have a good ear.

I thought I recognized Joe Regalbuto's voice - so I guess this was some primetime "before they were stars" special from around 1994 or 1995 (judging by Sherry Stringfield's inclusion). 

I still wish more episodes from this time period were available, even if the stories don't really seem that interesting on paper. 

Is there any one particular episode or "moment" any of you wish you could see from Loving that isn't available at present?

For me it would probably be Ava's dream episode (the Heaven dream), or the episode where James Horan's Clay returns to the family fold, or the episode where the Aldens reunite with Cabot in 1994 (even if I'm still annoyed Shana wasn't involved in that story). 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Thanks! 

The Loving Murders uploads really spoiled me. In addition to some amazing work by Christine (and Lisa Peluso), I got a glimpse of one of the great WTF moments, Cabot dressed as a pineapple.

My wish list at the moment includes Mike Donovan's visit to Washington D.C. and the Heaven dream. As an across-the-board-wish, I want to see stuff from the '88 writers strike, but with a show like Loving, it's maybe not likely easy to notice OTT changes or filler.

• Members

Wow! This is really great to hear.

Marcantel is one of the few have been there at the beginning and at the end. He has remained in recent contact with a lot of the cast from the first few years when he was there. 

This picture is from last year:

• Members

I don't participate in these reunions, because I like to keep my illusions about my favorite actors, lol.  Nevertheless, I am so, so happy that they're doing one for LOVING.  Right now, with the country and world in such crisis, we NEED the comfort that "our stories" bring us.  Perhaps, when all this is over, the genre itself will enjoy a renaissance.  At least, that's what I hope.

• Members

I know what you mean - I haven't watched all of them either. They've been more pleasant than I had expected. I watched some of the Cady/MEK/Jon video and it made me feel more connected to them (especially MEK, who was so depressed his last years at AMC).

I'm glad they're doing this for Loving, "the little show that could." We sure need that spirit these days. 

Amazing that Bryan Cranston still appears with other Loving actors, even though he could have easily put on airs, like some soap people.