Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think ABC would have canned LOVING anyway & was gonna replace it with a new soap. Maybe they felt spinning multiple LOVING characters into a new show would at least draw in viewers more easily then a whole brand new soap would

• Members

The whole thing seemed lazy to me. The City should have been a brand new show without any ties to Loving.

Bless Debi and Darnell, but that last scene of Loving is a hell of a lot more crass and disrespectful to fans of the show than Paul Rauch stomping out his cigar as the last shot of Santa Barbara’s finale. 

It was basically, “f.uck this loser show, but come watch us on The City next week y’all!”

• Members

Next batch of uploads are posted. If my calculations are correct, the show returned from repeats on Friday, Oct. 13 (part #66). As of right now, we're up to Part #68/Tuesday, Oct. 17.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

It always cracked me up. I already loved Debbi and Darnell and was happy about the ending, but when Angie crowed 'livin' for the sit-tay!" and they shooped outta frame I remember thinking 'man, if I watched Loving a long time I'd be pissed,' lol.

I didn't mind the link between shows. But to me TC was incredible stylistically and production-wise but largely a huge waste of creative potential. The concept worked. If they'd done that show right it might still be standing today.

Edited by Vee

• Members

One has to wonder why this show was managed so poorly behind the scenes. Unlike her other soaps, Agnes Nixon maintained ownership of Loving, it was never owned by ABC outright.

Either she didn’t have the business acumen to manage a business operation on her own, or she wasn’t equipped to manage against network interference. Even for daytime, the BTS turnover on a soap that lasted just 12 years was excessive. I wonder if we’ll ever know the full story.

I remember when Laura Wright first went over to GL in 1997. She said she was shocked at how much better the morale and working conditions were on GL vs. Loving/The City (even though it was more work to do a hour long soap than a half-hour one).

• Members

I think it goes back to the show's number-one problem, which was its' inability to define itself.  When no one knows or understands what a series supposed to be about, BTS interference and turmoil is probably inevitable.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I wonder if the working experience Agnes had in its early period, and whatever went on with Marland and with that other man who was originally involved, meant that she was hesitant to go back and the show was rudderless as a result. Didn't it take her almost a decade to want to return? 

It seems like it was mostly just the health of the ABC lineup and merchandising opportunities (and maybe the massive popularity in Italy?) which helped stretch through those years.

• Members

Agnes also started focusing on projects outside of daytime by the mid-80’s and returned in some capacity to AMC in the late 80’s when it was in a bit of a creative turmoil.

When she left OLTL, she has mentored Gordon Russel and fully supported him to step in and creatively guide the show, the same with Wiser Washam at AMC. At Loving, there didn’t seem to be that foresight or much of a plan after Marland left. True, it was a much newer show, but it certainly coasted for such a long time. Perhaps her heart wasn’t fully in it, despite her business interests in it?