Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The decision is another example of the damage done from so much producer changeover, since within a year after that Perry Stephens was fired and Jack was recast, which destabilized Stacey. And then they turned Curtis crazy when they'd already had an unstable son for Gwyneth and Clay. Lots of long-term mistakes. 

I'm glad to see a little more of Roya's last weeks in the role...and always glad to see more of Egypt. I can see why Linda Cook loved the role so much. 

The Jim and Jack scenes are the type of simple and believable conversations between male friends that would get lost as the years passed in daytime. I still kind of wish they'd kept Jim around (it helps that the actor is easy on the eye), but I guess he was seen as holding Shana back. 

@slick jones I think there may be some names in the cast list you could use.

• Members

Watched the July 5th episode and I must say this show could've had the potential to rehab itself. Someone was needed to stir this show around with a cohesive vision. This show suffered too many changeovers in its run.  I wonder how someone like Pamela Long would've done long-term in the 90's?

I miss characters in soaps like Ava who aspired to have more than their humble upbringing and will do anything to get it.  I loved her scene with Kate.

I would like to see more of Stacey/Jack/Rick story play out.  Hopefully, someone will uncover more episodes of that era soon. 

BTW Lauren-Marie Taylor is on Instagram.

• Members

Early Ava was more like Nola Reardon. She seemed more like a Marland creation. 

Rick was more or less like early Curtis at first. Curtis/Stacey/Jack/Ava was the story that should have been told. There was no real need for a Rick, but new writers and producers every other week will only harm a show.

• Members

Thanks for your insights, as always. Do you think they made a mistake moving Ava to Clay/Alex? 

I wonder if she knows about these episodes. 

I would have liked seeing Pam Long try the show. She wrote friendships well, which was a big part of Loving.

• Members

The Clay/Ava idea sounds good, but I never cared for RM or JH in the role (for different reasons). Once the charismatic Roya was gone and the Alex Masters saga started I was done with them.  All of the sudden the aristocratic Clay was involved in a mess straight out of Days and GH. The Aldens were not the family for this kind of story. Could you imagine John or Jack Abbott in a Rambo saga? 

Lisa Peluso' s Ava was an airhead. Roya's character hid her pain behind her greed.