Dynasty Discussion Thread

• Members

I would argue that over the course of 9 seasons and 220 episodes, most of the characters were fleshed out enough for fans to be able to analyze their motives; which is part of the fun of re-watching a show.

Also, the argument that Blake and Alexis divorced because of her assignation with Roger Grimes denies the (retconned) impact of the kidnapping of Adam on the couple.  

Edited by j swift

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well, if you like a show you like to interpret the characters but I think you have probably the truer point: that the Shapiros had no clue what they were doing and were making things up as they went along.
On the other hand trying to find a coherence to their stories may be giving them too much credit, sure, but it is still fun to try!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think some of that comes with age. She seemed to avoid admitting that she had a lot of enemies in the Dynasty cast for decades and only in the last 5 or 10 years has she been really candid. I think once the CW rebooted Dynasty Joan knew she'd never play Alexis again, and could afford to be frank, since the likelihood of ever working with the cast again was over. 

She's been quite specific about who she was friendly with: John James, Diahann Carroll, Catherine Oxenberg, Emma Samms, and Jack Coleman top the list. I think she's been hurt over the years about some of Michael Nader's rather harmless comments which is sad because he has always seemed to adore her and grateful that she was instrumental in his casting.

This. A million times this. There is a scene from Dynasty that's cited in the Biography episode of Joan Collins. In the scene Alexis shouts "I want my independence and I want a lover and I want a partner and I don't want to be suffocated by you!"

I think that line perfectly encapsulated how Alexis viewed relationships. If anyone tried to control her or she perceived them as suffocating her, she was out of there. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Admittedly I didn't watch the final two seasons, nor do I remember them with any detail.  However, I was watching clips and it made me wonder about Alexis's housing during the series.  I know she started living in her art studio on the grounds of the Carrington estate because it had been gifted to her by Blake.  Then, (after she married Cecil?) she moved to her highrise apartment (penthouse?).  I recognize the establishing shot as a condo building on Wilshire in Los Angeles.  Finally, she appears to have moved into the hotel she owned.

Here's my question - was that hotel the refurbished La Mirage or a different hotel?  Did something happen to her penthouse that caused her to move?  When she took over Blake's house after buying his loans, followed by Blake choking her on the stairs, how long did she live in the Manor?

art studio

Krystle carrington GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

her penthouse

Dynasty sets - Alexis's living room. | Furniture, Design inspo, Interior

throwing blake/crystal out of the mansion

Alexis On Dynasty GIFs | Tenor

Edited by j swift

• Members

She moved to the Carlton Hotel aka the Clue movie set during the final two seasons.

You really should take the time to watch at least season 9. It was a creative upswing.

NOTE: Aaron originally bought the Clue movie set in case Dark Mansions went to series, but when it didn't he just recycled it for the Carlton Hotel.

Edited by te.

• 2 weeks later...