Writer's Strike Thread

• Members

Whether or not they deserve more money is beside the point. The more concessions these big-shot primetime writers squeeze from the networks, the less incentive networks will have to keep soaps on the air. And you can't seperate the fate of soaps from the fate of its writers. The vast majority won't be waltzing into primetime jobs if/when their shows are cancelled.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm most confused about those late night talk show hosts. As much as those hosts get paid, you mean they can't throw together a show on their own? Even if they just did straight interviews like Letterman in '88, it would be something. Also shocked that Real Time with Bill Mauer is being pulled. He has jokes yes, but it's such a small part of the show that he could easily extend the panel conversation.

• Members

Not all hosts, just the comedians, but they don't write their stuff, they have a complete writing team including headwriter. In order to stay on the air Ellen has dropped her monologue and other written bits. Just doing straight interviews and winging it. You can be a writer and not right, but if you act or are a showrunner, you're expected to continue doing that. CBS and FOX have already stopped paying all the showrunners who refuse to come to work.

Something else I don't get...

For the shows with scripts, but no showrunner, why not just get a new showrunner for the time being?

• Members

She is probably part of the WGA from her sitcom days. She wrote that show didn't she? But now as a talk show host, she is part of a different union and has to honor her contract because her show is syndicated. Her contract isn't with one network like Leno and Letterman. Her loyalty has to be with the many affiliates across the country that carry her show as part of their lineup and depend on the revenue her show brings in locally. If she were to go into reruns, then affiliates all across the country would start loosing money and have to let their own people go.

Regis and Kelly don't have writers. Their host chat at the beginning of the show is spontaneous usually includes only what they did the weekend or night before or news stories that their EP or other staff members have found in the paper or online.

• Members

Ellen Degeneres: Yes, she is in the Writer's Guild and yes she is actually working contrary to the stance of the Writer's Guild. However, she basically has to work, her contract is very strict about that.

I will also mention that LML is not working at Y&R in any capacity, she is firmly with the Writer's Guild (for she actually has a lot to gain if the Guild is successful, not so much for her work on Y&R but for her days on KL). The president of SONY Daytime (Steve Kent) has stepped in and has started searching for suitable scab writers. With any luck this move by LML will p--s off Barbara Bloom, Les Moonves, Steve Mosco at SONY and hopefully Steve Kent and her untalented ass will be out the door. If it could happen to someone talented like Harding Lemay think of what could happen to LML!

• Members

Nothing, you know Sony and CBS think Latham's the second coming of Jesus... :rolleyes:

I don't know how true this is though, but Y&R has seemingly been written by scabs for a good year now, so I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to tell the difference, when the show runs out of new scripts.

I have a strong feeling that when the strike is over, Latham will leave Y&R. I think it will happen, also, she's never really stuck around for very long on shows she hasn't had a hand in creating, so...

Anyway, if this is true, that would mean Bradley Bell is also not working for B&B, in any capacity, since he's both the head writer and executive producer. Who will step in there to find scabs?

• Members

I know what you mean, I can only hope that CBS and SONY will wake up to the fact that LML ain't the second coming...she's more like Hurricane Katrina ;)

I hope you're right and she just leaves, her record speaks to this sort of behaviour but I'm wondering if that damn Emmy win might keep her around to see if she could win one based on her material alone (rather than material worked on by Kay Alden and the rest of the Bill Bell regime).

Here's the thing about B&B: since it's a half hour show Bell and Co. ususally film two episodes a day. Knowing that the strike was looming I have no doubt in my mind that Bell ramped up production big time and not only produced double the episodes of any other soap but also wrote double the episodes on top of what already exists. Unlike LML's Y&R which careens wildly like a roller coaster Bell and Alden's B&B has had an extensive 6 month projection (approved by matriarch Lee Phillip Bell). On top of it, I have my doubts that LPB is still in the Writer's Guild, she executive produced B&B up until 1994 and is still a part of the show...methinks Mama Bell could write one hell of a breakdown.

Archived