Writer's Strike Thread

• Members

DaytimeFan, I had worried that LML or Bloom would pick the scabs, so that's good news that Steve Kent is doing it. I, too, am hoping for an improvement. Honestly, how could it get any worse? The show is just so damn boring these days.

lol! According to that article with the Y&R writers, there should be only 29 episodes left, according to the episode number of the last script they worked on. Isn't that cutting it close? Don't these writers have anything planned? I guess I could answer that question by watching the show.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...3ba1c72a10f69ce

WGAE: DeGeneres not welcome

UPDATED 4 p.m. Nov. 10, 2007

The war of words over Ellen DeGeneres' decision to continue filming her syndicated talk show during the writers strike continued to heat up over the weekend.

Meanwhile, Jay Leno's refusal to cross the picket lines is leading his show's producers to consider using guests hosts and other alternatives.

As for DeGeneres, AFTRA has now weighed in on the issue after WGA East writers came out swinging Friday against the talk-show host, who is alone among the talk-variety topliners to return to work during the week-old writers' strike. The writers issued a statement saying that for their part, DeGeneres isn't welcome in New York when she lands in the city to tape her daytime talker, "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," on Nov. 19 and 20.

DeGeneres skipped filming on Monday in support of her writers but returned to work Tuesday despite the strike, though she said she missed and supported her scribes.

WGAE president Michael Winship expressed disappointment Friday afternoon that DeGeneres would cross the strike lines.

"All the other talk show-variety hosts like Letterman, Leno, Jon Stewart and Conan O'Brien have been in solidarity with us," Winship said.

A spokesperson for the show's producer, Telepictures Prods., said there's a difference between "Ellen" and late-night talk shows such as "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" and "Late Show With David Letterman," arguing that the former is syndicated and carried by local TV stations and the latter are owned and controlled by networks. The rep also noted that "Ellen's" daytime talk show competitors are continuing production and airing original episodes.

The spokesperson added that Telepictures and the show's distributor, Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution, are under contract to continue delivering original episodes to the stations that carry the talker.

"We have asked Ellen to come back to work to fulfill her contractual obligation as host of the show because without original programs the stations can move the show out of its time periods or ultimately hold the company in breach of contract," the rep said. "The company in turn expects Ellen not to breach her contract to host the show. We also wish to preserve the 135 jobs of the staff and the crew whose livelihoods depend on the show continuing."

Late Friday, AFTRA national executive director Kim Robert Hedgpeth sent a letter to WGA East executive director Mona Mangan defending DeGeneres and questioning what Hedgpeth said was the guild's decision to go public with its views rather than contract AFTRA first.

The letter also stated that AFTRA members working under the AFTRA Network TV Code -- including DeGeneres, whose show is covered under the agreement -- are "legally required by the no-strike clause of that contract to report to work and perform their AFTRA-covered responsibilities," though many of them have been "put out of work" because of the strike.

"The (WGAE) news release alleges that Ms. DeGeneres has performed writing duties normally performed by a WGA writer but for the current strike," the letter read. "As you are well aware, AFTRA has instructed its members not to perform struck work. Whether the services Ms. Degeneres performed constitutes struck work is something we should determine."

Hedgpeth also wrote that AFTRA members have been on the picket line supporting the WGA "despite the stony silence of the WGAW in returning AFTRA's calls to offer help."

Mangan issued her own response to Hedgpeth in a letter sent later Friday night.

"It is not the guild's intention to involve any union, such as your own, in our efforts to encourage individuals to withhold their services," Mangan's letter read. "What we ask of them are acts of individual conscience."

As for DeGeneres, "she is a Writers Guild member as well as an AFTRA (member). The writing of her show is always done by Writers Guild members and, therefore, constitutes struck work."

Beyond that, the letter continued, is "the obvious ethical issue, which is clearly present in Ms. DeGeneres' decision to write and produce a show without writers in the face of an industrywide walkout by 12,000 writers. Such a decision cannot be redeemed by your spirited and eloquent defense. I understand that AFTRA cannot call upon Ms. DeGeneres to respect our strike. But the Writers Guild can and must."

WGAE chief Winship declined Friday to discuss whether the WGAE would protest at the New York studios where DeGeneres will tape the shows.

"We have people who will be writing her on her Web site, and we will determine what our strategy will be in terms of pickets," Winship said.

In late-night, talk continues that several shows will be laying off employees should the strike enter a third week Nov. 19. However, NBC's "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" is considering using guest hosts as part of an effort to avoid layoffs. The show has been in repeats since Nov. 5, the first day of the strike, as Leno has been supporting his writers by not crossing the picket lines.

"All sorts of things are being discussed, including guest hosts," executive producer Debbie Vickers said in a statement. "Our preference is that we return to production of "The Tonight Show" with Jay as host as soon as possible. We want to protect the staff, who have been loyal to this show for decades, in the same way that Johnny Carson reluctantly returned without his writers in 1988."

Staffers on "The Tonight Show" -- 70-100 people -- had been notified Tuesday that if the strike continued, they would be let go as of Nov. 19 (HR 11/7).

Similar two-week notices went out to workers on other late-night shows. On Friday, security personnel at NBC Universal were paying visits to the desks of assistants who had already been laid off, urging them to pack up their things and leave work that day. A corporate e-mail was sent out the same day warning that many other employees' jobs also could be in jeopardy.

"There is no ignoring the financial damage the strike is inflicting upon the industry, and we can only hope the WGA returns to the bargaining table soon with a strong desire to work toward an agreement," the e-mail read. "An unfortunate consequence of the strike is the impact upon many employees associated with productions that must be shut down. Our business and HR leaders are dealing with this on a case-by-case basis in the most appropriate manner possible."

Paul J. Gough reported from New York; Kimberly Nordyke reported from Los Angeles.

• Members

Colby grad joins with Hollywood strikers

By LYNN ASCRIZZI

Staff Writer

Hollywood writer Jeff Gottesfeld remembers walking through the lounge in the Foss Woodman dorm at Colby College in Waterville years ago.

"I was looking at the girls watching soaps like 'The Young and the Restless.' I was feeling so superior. I thought: 'They're watching the soaps? You've got to be kidding!' Now, here I am writing it," said Gottesfeld, a 1977 Colby graduate.

Today, he lives in Sherman Oaks, Calif., where he and his wife Cherie Bennett are associate head writers for "The Young and the Restless."

On the white board behind his desk is outlined episode 8,796 of the daytime TV soap opera. That script, turned in only one day before the Hollywood writers' strike, may be the last episode they work on for some time.

On Monday, they joined 3,000 of their fellow writers on the picket line after the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Pictures and Television Producers failed to cut a deal on how much writers are paid when shows are offered on digital media, such as the Internet and DVDs.

"I was reluctant to join the strike. It's not anything any of us are dying to do. We're individual writers. We're not making $5 million a year, like Steve Zaillian," he said of the screenwriter, director, producer of "Schindler's List" fame.

Gottesfeld and Bennett started working as staff writers for "Smallville" a number of years ago, which paid about $3,000 per week, he said.

They began writing for the CBS soap opera last year. They also wrote the script for "Broken Bridges," a Paramount movie released in September 2006. And they have carved out a major niche as young adult fiction writers.

"It's been a really good last two or three years," he said.

Much of what people see on TV and in the movies is the work of a diverse group of guild writers. And, like Gottesfeld and Bennett, some work at getting tangled soap opera relationships back on track.

"We shape stories over the long term, so the dialogue and action work on a day-to-day level. We write a script a week and rewrite two or three scripts per week," he said.

For he and Bennett, that means a combined 110-hour work week.

Now, their writing has come to a nerve-wracking halt.

"People don't absorb entertainment the way it was when I was a kid," Gottesfeld said. "Our 15-year-old son, Igor, does not really watch TV. He will download 'Heroes' streaming at the ABC Web site or go to Blockbuster, get a DVD of 'Lost' and watch it on the go."

Writers only get four cents per DVD sold, he said.

"That's the writer's cut. If there were four writers, they'd have to divide the money. It's not so laughable. 'Heroes' is downloaded 90 million times. We (writers) have got to figure out something on Internet downloading and streaming. When they (producers) make money, we should make money," he said.

Gottesfeld, 50, hopes the strike will get settled soon.

Also on the picket line with Gottesfeld and Bennett are Lewiston native Lynsey Dufour, script editor for "The Young and Restless," and Christian McLaughlin of Fort Kent, one of the show's writers.

"We're a little Maine-centric crew on this."

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news.../985524896.html

Found this article on the Snark Weighs In blog. According to Mark in the comments, the airdate for Friday's episode on IMDB is 8767, which means 29 more episodes.

• Members

The WGA strike must be a long one, at least five months. I really hope it is a long one. Television will not change on its own. What is needed are external forces, and this strike will provide that. If a few shows do not return as a result, then so be it. Life will go on.

I have no problem with scab writers just as long as they learn the history of the shows, are intelligent and talented. Bring on the scab writers! And when the WGA strike ends, bring on K*ola Boof to revive a dying daytime.

• Members

i cant belive people are bashing these writers for striking. are you f'in kidding me?

i feel bad for all the other crew, hair, makeup, etc.. people that are losing jobs over this as well,i do, however how can you blame these writers? because "they dont own the tv show"? wtf? im sorry but guess what - they write it. crap or not in your opinion, its still there writing that nmakes the show. its there story's that are sold on dvd and downloaded on the net. they deserve a cut.

i support the WGA.

and as for me also wanting scap writers-i support daytime tv more than anything else. so if that means scap writers being them on - soap operas cant survive a strike. they just cant.

Archived