Writer's Strike Thread

• Members

Not only is it more reason to cancel soaps, but what does it matter if they get what they want and soaps are cancelled? Then you have hundreds of writers out of a job and thousands of employee's. After soaps are cancelled, we'll have no chance of getting soaps on DVD. I also highly doubt we'll be seeing any new soaps on the net or reruns. I imagine the PGP channel at AOL.com will continue, but that's it. NBC and ABC have shown zero interest in soaps, so they'd be gone completely.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know what he said, Ponz. And sorry - argument that they write crap and thus the networks shouldn't pay them is just ridiculous. Craig Mazin is writing Scary Movies and is a marquee screenwriter, but he still gets the money. Plus, ever more increasingly those same networks are dictating the stories so it's not just the writers' fault that the ratings are falling.

Oh, and poor soap writers - they have already earned millions, you shouldn't worry about them. They are one of the highest paid niche in screenwriting, given the amount of material they produce and their minimums...

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 10 2007, 10:45 PM)
Not only is it more reason to cancel soaps, but what does it matter if they get what they want and soaps are cancelled? Then you have hundreds of writers out of a job and thousands of employee's.

They have already earned big bucks. That's not a reason to worry about. And it's better to cancel them then to see all this trash thrown at us daily.

Unfortunately, Chris, you have lost your credibility in the Latham discussions given that you defended her fervently and spit on Kay Alden and the next morning you were all against Antoinette and her vampires who are sucking all the blood left in Y&R's body. And that is a shame - you have lots of great things to say.

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 10 2007, 10:45 PM)
After soaps are cancelled, we'll have no chance of getting soaps on DVD. I also highly doubt we'll be seeing any new soaps on the net or reruns. I imagine the PGP channel at AOL.com will continue, but that's it. NBC and ABC have shown zero interest in soaps, so they'd be gone completely.

So what. People will live with it.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 8 2007, 05:15 PM)
I think he's saying that soaps should air two or three days a week during the strike. I think that would be smart, to stretch out the episodes they have. If they have to use scab writers, I'd like them to have time to find and train people who won't completely screw things up. I recall reading that during the 1981 strike, an actor in the cast became headwriter to avoid his character being killed off. Does anybody want Ronn Moss writing B&B? Austin Peck at ATWT? Not me. Besides, don't the CBS soaps do well on the weeks when they air three episodes due to the sports?

During the strike, all shows should air on Mon, Wed & Fri with repeats on Tue & Thu. When the strike is over, all shows should air Mon, Wed-Fri. If Y&R gets six million viewers on Mon, then Tues' repeat is guaranteed at least one million with 80% watching it for the first time, bringing the total audience to at least seven million. GH did that on Labor Day, and that episode's total audience was at least five million viewers, making it GH's highest rated show so far this year.

Ron Moss head writer for B&B? Ridge & "Logan" Round 200. :lol:

Here's what Matt P. thinks about 30 minute editions: http://boards.soapoperanetwork.com/index.p...amp;hl=salaries

• Members

I lost absolutely no credibility. While being a LML fan, I still acknowledged and complained about the numerous faults last year. In particular, Nick/Phyllis, the general writing for Phyllis, lack of Nikki/Jill/Kay, destruction of the Abbott family, bizarre and inconsistant writing for Dru and Neil among other things. Hardly blindly following her. Also, we can see now that last year's success was largely due to the other writers, not LML. I've acknowledged that as well. My dislike of LML is something gradual that happened Nov2006-February07 when they show hit rock bottom.

She was also deserving of most of the respect she initially got considering the great things she did at Knots Landing and Homefront.

As for Kay Alden or Jack Smith, yes they had their faults which I still acknowlege. Kay Alden with the dreadful sperm swapping (only topped by some of LML's stories) and 2005 was a rough year, but we now know Jack Smith's son was dying. I think he can get a pass on that.

But what does any of this have to do with the writers strike?

Right now B&B and OLTL are in great shape, quality-wise, so why cancel them? And how many times have soaps been in horrible shape, but managed to make a turnaround? Lets not forget, ATWT pretty much died with Douglas Marland, but they managed to turn it around. I'm sure nobody expected OLTL to improve either and look at it.

It would be silly to cancel soaps over this strike.

• Members

But this is network television, not a college class schedule! If you are going to air the soaps like that, they need to be aired concecutively and not skipped around.. I'm all for a model like PASSIONS on DirecTV: Air four days a weeks. And from there, either a cheesy weekly recap on Friday or a classic episode.

Actually, Ronn Moss has been very vocal about NOT wanting Ridge to hook up with Brooke for the umpeenth time. If Ronn Moss were writing the show, no doubt we'd revisit Ridge and Ashley. If it wasn't for the way their breakup was written and the crappy way Brooke used her own RAPE to get Ridge in her bed, I'd eagerly want B&B to give me the Rash. But Ashley and Eileen deserve a million times better than to get involved in Ridge and Brooke's bullcrap.

Why the ratings rise when Ridge and Brooke get back together is BEYOND ME!

Archived