Writer's Strike Thread

• Members

Josh is too smart to go FiCore. He writes screenplays and has aspirations of writing other genres. those would be unavailable to him -- he'd be ostracized -- if he crossed the picket line. Besides which, he doesn't need the money. On a writer whose career is pretty much over would go FiCore, because they'll be fired at the earliest possible opportunity as soon as the strike is over. And nothing can stop that from happening. After that, no one'll hire them. FiCore is cryptonite.

It's shameful. Daytime writers are the first and only writers to break the strike. If you want respect, you've gotta earn it. It's a black mark on the entire genre.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, that's the first time I've read Tom Casiello's blog or heard the news that he was appointed as a strike captain. (Thanks, Toups! Thanks, Roger!) Good to know he's behind the WGA one-hundred percent. Even if it makes me look like a total dumbass, lol.

Maybe, but, Griffith and Latham currently are the only two writer-producers working (more or less) at Y&R. So if it isn't Latham.....

Those who think it could be Eric Friedwald & Linda Schreiber (who have chosen to go fin-core) make a valid case. Funny, though, how no one's suggesting it could be Valerie Ahern & Christian McLaughlin, or Darin Goldberg & Shelley Meals.

Furthermore, since he has written a few scripts for his parents and is therefore eligible to join the Guild, does that mean Sylph - pardon, Vincent Latham Lechowick - has to walk the picket line, too?

• Members

I was totally wrong. Josh Griffith has resigned from the Guild and gone FiCore. Apparently, he's greedier than I thought. But the rest of the Variety article, about the staff of Y&R following him FiCore, was false. No one else from Y&R is writing. They're standing strong. Whoever's going to be writing under Josh will not come from the current staff.

Sorry I was so adamant about Josh's brains. Apparently, not so much.

• Administrator

Woah.....thanks for confirming!

Damn, I wonder what Lynn's going to do to him once the strike is over.

Or maybe CBS/Sony will make him HW/EP and ditch Lethal Lynn if the strike goes 8 weeks (force majeure).

Wow, this could be huge for Y&R.

• Members

I'm thrilled that Griffith dropped out of the WGA because this is the sort of power play which might just (please God!) spell the end of LML. Not that I think he's any better than her, per say, but he did write for Santa Barbara (under JFP...the horror!). He won an Emmy for OLTL. At this point, anyone is better than LML, I've lost all rational thinking in regards to that woman.

I also just realized that Griffith is one of the only people of the new Y&R regime who has had no previous working relationship with LML. Interesting. Very interesting. Makes me wonder if she even hired him or if he wasn't meant to act as a balance.

I wouldn't be concerned about what LML will do to him, rather, I would be concerned what SONY/CBS/Bell Dramatic are going to do to her! Hopefully ratings will just go up a tiny bit while she's off the show and all the execs realize was a horror show she is and fire her ass!

• Members

I'm worried because Josh is still someone brought on by LML. His last stint at OLTL was a disaster, although many place the blame on Michael Malone. exwriter, would you happen to know if he'll be any different with the show? I can only hope he realizes how bad Y&R is now and makes some changes.

I have a question for you guys...do you think Brad Bell could be thrown out over this? He's a showrunner who isn't showing up to work either. Many hate on him, but I would not be willing to risk losing him at B&B, which is excellent now. Whatever his faults, he adds stability and the show is run better than any on air.

• Members

Josh Griffith supposedly left OLTL over creative issues with ABC. He was always the balancing force for Michael Malone to keep him from going OTT. When he left, Malone, though talented, was out of control.

Griffith's work at Y&R may not be his best but he has a long and proud history in daytime dating back a ways. I think he'd be a credit to any show.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 13 2007, 05:26 PM)
I'm worried because Josh is still someone brought on by LML. His last stint at OLTL was a disaster, although many place the blame on Michael Malone. exwriter, would you happen to know if he'll be any different with the show? I can only hope he realizes how bad Y&R is now and makes some changes.

I have a question for you guys...do you think Brad Bell could be thrown out over this? He's a showrunner who isn't showing up to work either. Many hate on him, but I would not be willing to risk losing him at B&B, which is excellent now. Whatever his faults, he adds stability and the show is run better than any on air.

See, that's my question. Was Griffith actually brought on by LML or was it Sony or Bell Dramatic or CBS who insisted on him? He toned down Malone on OLTL, perhaps that was his purpose at Y&R which has been become Latham/Lechowick Inc.

Don't worry for Brad. He's got double the shows in the can, he's got double the shows written. He and his family own the show without any involvement from the networks or any production company or corporation. Brad has an excellent team at B&B. That is one show I'm not worried about at all.

• Administrator

Hmm.....that is a good question.

Maybe Josh and Barbara go way back to their ABC days in the 90's (Josh was at OLTL and Babs working for ABC Daytime). I did find it weird that Josh quickly rose the ranks at Y&R and going from writer to Co-EP is unheard of in daytime. This could definitely be a power move by Josh to gain control of Y&R with Sony/Bloom's blessing? Could this be the end of L&L Inc (good one, DaytimeFan LOL)?

Archived