VARIETY Confirms Passions Cancellation

• Members

USA TODAY

In other NBC news:

•Daytime soap Passions has been canceled after an eight-year run to make room for a fourth hour of Today, which will air on all network affiliates, though only about half will initially air all of Today in a continuous block, says NBC Universal Television president Jeff Zucker. The worsening economics of daytime soaps led NBC to choose expanding Today. Passions will likely finish its run in August, but NBC is discussing continuing the soap on a cable network (such as SoapNet) or online. Zucker suggested that NBC's only other soap, Days of Our Lives, is unlikely to continue past 2009.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...presstour_x.htm

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow so DAYS is definitely done in 2009 :(. I hope it is not done before.

I don't have SoapNet, don't plan on getting it either so the prospect of having a regular "live" soap and not repeats of it won't be that great if not everyone has it. It sucks but it seems that even DAYS fate is sealed unless it is going somewhere else. DAYS should really just kick ass for the next 2 years knowing that it is done then...

• Members

Sorry, Kenny, but the net would piss off a lot more fans if it said it were seeking alternatives to airing the show on NBC, and really werent, or nothing came out of it. Notice that same line is popping up in pretty much EVERY report on the cancellation. That means the network really IS considering it. I believe so, anyway.

It really makes you wonder why these full episodes of "Passions" have been available on NBC.com, and they JUST started that, when the net probably knew the show's fate at around the same time. Who REALLY knows how many hits the site gets? And how much ad revenue the Internet ads on the show's site take in?

If it meant "Passions" survived, I actually wouldn't mind watching it online -- provided, for God's sake, that we had a way to record it to a DVD, unlike the current Internet stream. We all have our favorite 'keeper' episodes.

• Members

Eric Martsolf posted:

"Hey Guys-

What can I say...but wow. I did receive the official word yesterday that Passions will be discontinued at the end of the summer to accomodate a fourth hour for the Today show. It hit me the way it's hitting all of you...pretty hard. There are still wavering possibilities concerning a "new home" for the soap, and those will be answered in time. But for now, I share your dissappointment with all of you. If the show does come down, I can promise you one super-charged Ethan Winthrop...I'm gonna take this guy out in style!

Feel free to make all the noise you desire concerning your sentiments....

You're the best fans an actor could have,

All the best, Eric"

• Members

I'm pisssed at the prospect of Days being gone by 2009, because Passions was doomed from the start with Reilly at the helm.... If NBC owns Passions outright, it makes me wonder why they never got rid of JER; my only guess is that JER had something in his contract that prevented them from doing so.

I hope the 4th freaking hour of Today bombs like David Caruso did after leaving NYPD Blue!

• Members

Yes, with NBC looking into other options for Passions, it's obvious that they didn't want to just abandon the show. They would've helped it creatively, if they could have. But they never fired JER. Tells me that he refused to go... and his contract protected him.

• Members

LOL A new day is born! The odor of Passions will soon leave the NBC lot. Sometimes, there really is a rainbow at the end of a long rainy two years.

I hear it.. Do y'all? I hear it.. Sing with me

Ce-le-brate good times

Come on!

It's a celebration.

There's a party goin on right here.

It's a celebration

That'll last throughout the year.

So bring your goodtimes (Eric's Ethan, TC, Whitney, Rebecca, Ivy and Sam)

And your laughter too (Early Tabitha, Timmy, and Precious)

And we're goin celebrate a party with you

COME ON NOW!

Celebrate goodtimes

Come on!

Archived