VARIETY Confirms Passions Cancellation

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow. I feel bad for the Passions fans, and I'm not happy it was cancelled.

But at the same time, I don't agree with the doom-and-gloom theory that this will create a domino effect of other soaps being cancelled. I think consolidation could actually strengthen the other soaps by concentrating the soap audience on the remaining shows. Some Passions viewers will leave soaps forever, but others will switch to one of the remaining 8 soaps.

• Members

Wow... I knew for years that the end is coming... And like.. two years ago I had that topic here at SON about WHICH SOAP IS THE NEXT TO DIE...

Well now I know my answer... the bad things is, that PASS will probably not be the only one...

Goodbye, PASS!

• Members

Since networks block vote for the Emmys, does this mean Days will have even less of a chance in the future being the only soap on NBC? I wonder if Days will move to ABC or CBS at some point.

The future of daytime soaps is probably on cable so We, Lifetime, Soapnet, etc should all be considered.

• Members

I HATE THIS!!!!!!!!! :( It's just so sad!!!!!!!! I wanted Passions to improve. but not cancellation. I feel so bad for the actors and seriously am gonna miss the show. :(:(

As for it on SoapNet, MyNetworkTv, CW, or online, that might provide a bit of hope, but for one NBC might just be trying to make fans settles so they don't riot, but for another thing would the fans know to follow it? Not all go to internet message boards and the likes.

I guess today they announce it then. :(:(:(

• Members

Maybe NBC will launch a new soap in PSSNS place. I don't believe the genre is dying, but it's only gotten more competitive given all the other outlets that produce consistently good drama. There's really no place for satire when soaps aren't taken seriously enough as it is.

I think a 4th hour of Today will merely be an interim show.

• Members

I'll miss the good of Passions (namely Julian, Tabitha, Endora), but there's a lot of not so good. I do think the show could have improved if JER walked away, but that was never going to happen. I wonder if any of the actors will end up on other shows. I wish them all the best of luck.

• Members

I hope that doesn't happen. DAYS and some other shows are trying to stay viable. They haven't completely given way to shameful displays of satire.

But the writing may be on the wall. Entertainment Tonight did a feature on Guiding Light celebrating its 70th anniversary and ominously stated that it will most likely be the only soap to reach such a milestone. You can blame O.J. and other contributing factors, but sometimes I feel like the head writers just fall on their glory days and don't write good enough stories to keep an audience entertained or interested.

For what it's worth, I am sorry you're losing your show. Despite my signature, it's not meant to rub it in your face or worsen the feelings of loss.

• Members

The head writers (and I use the term writers loosely) as well as the EP's are exactly who I blame. No one is forcing them to write such drivel. Bad stories and bad acting are what's driving viewers away. If all soaps were delivering quality, the ratings would not be as dire as they are right now. But instead, rather than making any real effort (with the current exception of DAYS), HW's, EP's, network heads, etc. all opt to slack off, and this is exactly where it gets them. Cancellation.

Archived