VARIETY Confirms Passions Cancellation

• Members

I wouldn't worry about the cast. A ) This was not news to them yesterday if the rumor has been going around for us for 3.5 weeks, it's been going around for them for over a month. Not to mention, PSNS cancellation rumors start up every year around this time. and B ) The ones we're sad we'll never see again...we'll see again. And now, they have a chance to get great material and shots at some awards nods/wins. The ones who don't deserve to be in the acting industry...well, hopefully, we'll never see them again!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Confirmation from SOD ONLINE:

http://soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

NBC Pulls the Plug on PASSIONS

PASSIONS has been canceled by NBC to make room for a fourth hour of the TODAY show, according to sources close to the soap. The cast and crew were told on Tuesday, Jan. 16. PASSIONS, which premiered on July 5, 1999, was the brainchild of veteran daytime scribe James E. Reilly. While never a ratings success, the show created buzz with its outrageous storylines and characters, especially the unlikely "supercouple" of a 300-year-old witch, Tabitha, and her living doll and partner-in-crime, Timmy. PASSIONS is expected to air through the summer, at which time the TODAY show will expand to four hours.

• Members

OMG I cannot believe it has come to this...PASSIONS is cancelled!!

This is such a sad day for daytime!!

I hope DAYS can survive on its own and I hope NBC is willing to hold onto DAYS on its own!

I hope NBC can find a new place for PASSIONS, but I doubt it will happen.

My condolences to ALL the PASSIONS fans, seriously I feel bad and if it were DAYS I would know exactly how you feel.

:(

• Members

I was a loyal AW fan and I'm not happy about this. Any AW fan that blames Passions for it's cancellation needs a reality check. AW was on the way out, and had been on the verge of cancellation for years. If SB was cancelled instead of AW in June of 1999, AW would have simply been cancelled 6 months later.

Anyway, AW ruined itself years before it's cancellation, when they killed Ryan and split Paulina and Jake up for good. It just got worse and worse from there.

• Members

But the difference is that when those hit shows go into syndication, they make all that money back that put into production and then some. That is why you hear about shows like House being sold to USA for like a million an episode. That is why the syndication of Friends has made Warner Brothers over a billion dollars in revenue. Yes. It does cost a lot to produce a primetime show but if the show is a hit and makes it to syndication, that primetime show brings in the cash that those previous production costs seem like peanuts.

• Members

USA TODAY

In other NBC news:

•Daytime soap Passions has been canceled after an eight-year run to make room for a fourth hour of Today, which will air on all network affiliates, though only about half will initially air all of Today in a continuous block, says NBC Universal Television president Jeff Zucker. The worsening economics of daytime soaps led NBC to choose expanding Today. Passions will likely finish its run in August, but NBC is discussing continuing the soap on a cable network (such as SoapNet) or online. Zucker suggested that NBC's only other soap, Days of Our Lives, is unlikely to continue past 2009.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...presstour_x.htm

Archived