ALL: Unpopular opinions

• Members
I just find it highly overrated. It was good, but I don't miss it as much as others do.

I wouldn't use the word upstage but they were miles better.

Brownie points :)

Why does everybody keep saying that? :lol: That's a popular opinion. But I love challenging it.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never got to see the show while it aired, but through clips, I have to say that Santa Barbara is horrible! It's boring and I don't see the appeal that most fans see. What's the big deal? If it was so great, why is it not on the air now?

• Members

I was never a regular viewer of Santa Barbara during its first run but like any soap it went through ups and downs. I would never describe it as horrible or boring...it had the best sense of humour of any of the soaps when it aired, great acting for the most part, excellent dialogue and good production values.

• Members

^I don't think there is a clear cut best soap. Because like JamesF mentioned they have all had there ups and downs. At times I've thought that GH was the best, then there were times when I thought Y&R was the best, and ditto that for ATWT and GL etc etc. Maybe you can break it down to best time periods, but overall, there really is no one winner for me. Although some soaps were more blessed than others in a variety of ways.

• Members

hi.

I am having trouble with my computer, so I can't find the post I wanted to respond to. Has to do with Robin Strasser, though, and I would say that she CAN play soft, and she is not always one-note. There was a scene earlier this year when Kelly and Duke were in the hospital that was very powerful, and Robin played it low key.

I also agree that saying Susan Flannery is the best actress in daytime is NOT unpopular, when pretty much every person thinks that. A truly UNPOPULAR opinion is that Erika Slezak is better than Flannery, which is what I think, and some of my others are as follows ~

~ Kristiann Alfonso is one of few good actresses on DAYS. She is actually the best actress on the show, and one of daytime's greatest.

~ Hating on OLTL's Blair and Todd for going through the same stuff over and over gets old and is pointless, especially when you look at Sonny/Carly, Marlena/John, Reva/Josh and countless others that nobody [!@#$%^&*]es about.

~ Laura Wright is terrific, but so was Jen Bransford

~ Grey's Anatomy is a boring, overrated television show

~ All My Children doesn't honor history and showcase vets more than any other show

~ DAYS will always be the slowest-moving soap opera

~ NuMarty/Christine Chambers is not a bad actress ... bringing her back is contrived, though

~ Bree Williamson is an excellent actress

~ Adriana has a right to be mad at her mother, and she should not forgive Dorian, and she DEFINITELY has a right to whine about the fact that her mother hired a stalker

• Members

:rolleyes: Watch a full episode- or better yet, a full storyline and get back to me. A show like 'SB' cannot be fully appreciated in small doses or clips on youtube. The clips would certainly seem dated, at least, on their own- 'SB' embraced the 80s like no other. You didn't watch the show. You weren't born when it started and were just a wee lad while it aired- so put your two cents in on something you know about and let the rest of us grieve 'Santa Barbara' in peace.

To each their own. With all the press, critical acclaim, and Emmys the show received, you'd be hard-pressed to call it underrated. At least you appreciate it. And while for my taste it was the best soap of all-time, I'm not saying that it was. But as far as the storylines & especially the dialogue, no soap will ever compare IMO.

Excellent post! ICAM with all of that, minus the never a regular viewer part.

• Members

But then again General Hospital and The Young and the Restless also received much press, critical claim and emmy love. I just never agreed with the greatness of Santa Barbara. And I know my girl Nancy Lee Grahn was on it, but I only truly appreciated her on General Hospital.

Archived