ALL: Unpopular opinions

• Members

I thought that soaps produced in NYC cost more, which is why they wouldn't produce a new soap there. I really don't know why b/c both LA and NYC have really inflated prices, but there must be a specific reason.

West Coast soaps look really glossy, almost like Telemundo telenovelas. Except GH, which always looks cheap. AMC and OLTL used to look cheap too, but now I don't think they do.

OLTL and GH used be very dark for some reason. It seems like that's changed though.

I don't really like AMC's gloss look. I guess I shouldn't complain b/c I don't even watch it regularly, but I always liked the realistic look of the show.

GL tries to do the whole gloss look, but it just looks wrong and cheap (which is probably why they do it). I guess that the same can be said of AMC.

Another thing that I like...

This might not be an unpopular opinion:

I really really really enjoy watching the end credits of the CBS soaps b/c they show the Bell and P&G production logos. I really love the logos for B&B and ATWT specifically.

I wish they would do actual end credits (like they have on SOAPnet), instead of the little ones with commercials, though. :( Now the end credits are just too small...nobody pays attention to them.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You have GOT to be kidding me, LoL.

I think that AMC looks like it has a budget of $20. I mean... it's baaaaad. Everything about it. Wardrobe looks like crap. Makeup looks BAD in the horrible lighting. Sets look like cardboard. Everything about it is just embarassingly "local access" bad. I'd say it's the cheapest looking show on television -- daytime and primetime.

• Members

To me, ALL ABC soaps look cheap.

The look of the show is generic and there are little things that bug... like the clack clack of high heels whenever one of the women walk around.

ATWT has dark lighting. Don't like it.

Overall, I think Passions has the best look. Seems like most of their money goes towards wardrobe and hair.

• Members

And as for GL, they used to have really awesome production values. They still do, for the most part... lighting and camera work is really good, as is hair/makeup/wardrobe. It's visually appealing and doesn't look "starchy." But their sets have really gone downhill from where they were 10 years ago. They're much smaller. Not cheap looking, IMO. Just smaller.

Does it annoy anyone else how soaps use less sets nowadays than they used to? They just put all the characters in one place through the whole episode to save costs of using more sets. Sometimes I find myself begging them to switch to another location. I need changing visuals, damn it!

• Members

Overrated

Kim Zimmer

-Okay she HAD her MOMENTS in the past. But overall I think she's the most overexposed female performer in the history of daytime television. Why the hell is she always screaming and grandstanding? For goodness sakes stop trying to outact your co-stars and work with them. B.tch you are NOT the star of Guiding Light. You are the CANCER (no pun intended).

Anthony Geary

-For years he's been winging it. Fans adore him because he's Luke Spencer, but I haven't really felt Geary in the role for a long time.

Susan Flannery

-The daytime world's answer to stop world hunger? Excessive much? Not really when I hear the assessment of Susan Flannery, who is rightfully an excellent performer. I guess I've seen a repeat of Flannery's performances too much to care anymore. It's the same thing over and over. While Flannery plays the "I'm going to kick your ass" moments superbly, she lacks at the softer, gentler moments. And no I don't buy it's her character. The reason why Katherine Kelly Lang hasn't been nominated for an emmy ladies and gentlemen...

Martha Byrne

-She just likes to piss me off. She is so annoying and one note. I don't like people who show off how great they THINK they are.

Laura Wright

-It's all been said. GH has let Wright's caricature LOOSE on General Hospital, and hell hath no fury than a Laura Wright performance.

Deidre Hall

-I don't find *gasping,* *long pauses,* and *no emotion* good acting.

Tom Pelphrey

-His emmy clip 2005 was bloody hillarious. Less is more buddy, no matter what Zimmer says.

Ted King

-Never liked him. Just another useless mob guy, and TK fails to make his character memorable or interesting.

Robin Christopher

-I boo'ed when Vanessa Marcil won the emmy, but it wasn't because RC lost...I personally just don't like her on GH, never have and never will.

Jacob Young

-His performance just leave me dry. I just see Jacob Young acting whenever I watch JR. HE has improved since his Lucky Spencer and Rick Forrester days though...

Justin Deas

-I've never been captivated by his performances, they leave a lot to be desired IMHO

Jordan Clarke

-I find him annoying as hell. Maybe I'd like him in another role.

Alexandra Chando

-Why they let her carry a story was beyond me?

Terri Colombino

-I used to think she was enjoyable a long time ago, now her performances are ending up in the Martha Byrne category. Good news is, she still has hope!

Kelley Menighan Hensley

-What the HELL is she doing half the time? I think she's very inconsistent.

• Members

LOL. I said "almost" :lol: I just meant to say that they're really glossy. I think the Telemundo soaps look good: it's the acting and poor writing that makes them bad. :lol: So yeah, it wasn't an insult when I compared them. I think Days and Passions look the best and most soap-like.

Actually, I don't consider the West Coast soaps to look cheap (except GH for some reason.) I think the gloss look fits the West Coast soaps. When the East Coast soaps try it, though, it looks so bad (ie. GL and AMC)

• Members

I HATE every last one of Days "super couples". That's right! They do NOTHING for me but put me to sleep, literally. And the Days "super couple" with the worse actors are J&M. I'm sorry, but neither Drake or Deidra can act. Those two are totally overrated.

• Members

Overall, I think that Y&R has the most expensive look. It looks clean, crisp, mature and realistic. From sets to hair/makeup and lighting. The best of the best, and it's been that way for years.

After them, I used to think that GL had the second best production values. That was back in 1997, though, LoL. They've done downhill a bit since then. I'd put them in the middle of the pack now.

Anyway, after Y&R, I'd say Days/ATWT/B&B/Passions are all pretty equal when it comes to visual appeal (lighting/sets). Days and ATWT have a slight edge, though.

After them, OLTL. I think they right in the middle between having that 'theatrical' NYC production look at the glossier West Coast look.

Then there's GH.

Then AMC. Whoever's in charge of EVERYTHING on that show needs to be fired. If you look back in clips from the 90's, it looks so much better. Today, sets look cheap and cardboardish. They LOOK like sets. The lighting is amazingly bad, which causes the makeup and wardrobe materials to look harsh and cheap. The show looks "fuzzy" on the air, and I know it's not just my local station, because it looks the same both on ABC and SoapNet. It literally looks like a local access show to me. $20 budget.

• Members

I never said West Coast soaps looked cheap, either. I just think there's more emphasis on technical aspects and gloss. On the NY Based Shows the focus is more on the performance. At least it was the case a few years ago.

GL's smaller sets and look aren't that bad until they try to do handheld(i.e. Jon, Tammy, Lizzie episode with all their thoughts in their head). Handheld is fine...just don't go too crazy with the camera. Otherwise, use the film-look in post-production.

Never seen the Telemundo shows, but aren't they taped in Miami?

Everyone knows the best Marlena is a possessed Marlena.

• Members

I think that's the thing that annoys me the most, is that she always has to outshine whomever she's sharing a scene with. That's why I was happy at first when LW left the show to go to GH (but see my comment below about her), because for years she was playing second fiddle to KZ's antics. Also, her comments in the soaps mags always have me shaking my head. She acts like she's all that, when in reality, I don't think the show would fail if they killed her off. The show did fine when Reva "died" before, and it can definitely survive without her.

I really like TG, but I'm surprised that the show hasn't fired him yet. Half the time he's on vacation, and the other half, he really doesn't seem like he's trying. The sad thing is that he is really talented and can give some good scenes when called for. But I think he's been phoning it in for years. (And the same can be said of MB)

MB pisses me off too, and I really don't know exactly why. First off, MB is not the best actresss on ATWT: I wouldn't even put her in the top 10 personally. And it was pretty obvious that the writers are the ones that got her her second Emmy when they gave her dual roles. I also think that a lot of it has to do with her character: Lily is just annoying and is extremely one-note. I enjoyed MB more as Rose, but it still pissed me off because she *had* to be the one who got another character, instead of the other actors and actresses on the show.

LW was decent on GL, but on GH...Woah! She's awful!!!! She must be hanging around with Maurice a lot b/c now she's a condescending b!itch. Screaming and yelling and parading around like you're on a catwalk is not going to get you the Emmy anytime soon.

Well obviously KZ's acting techniques have had an influence on him. I think he's decent, but the random outbursts are really over-the-top.

I think this is b/c of her character. To me, I can take Emily or leave her. I will say, though, that I'm really surprised that KMH has been able to stay on the show for this long because I haven't seen much acting growth from the mid-90s. Also, Emily is meant to be a supporting character. Making her the lead was the worst decision the writers made. KMH cannot hold her own storyline, and often times, I find MW, who has basically been designated to supporting her, outshining her in most scenes.

Archived