90210 and Melrose Place DVD coverart!

KMan101

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think Kimberly was in the show until around the 5th episode maybe as an under-five. She was always just straggling along with Michael and others at the hospital.

People should give season 1 a chance. I've been rewatching the series this year (and am up to season 5) and the latter half of season 1 really isn't bad or too different from season 2. Sydney, Amanda, Kimberly, Jo are all there and there's a great sense of community which gives the stories more resonance as they start to take a campy twist.

Sure the first 10 eps aren't Melrose but the rest of the season is, IMO. Kimberly breaking up Michael and Jane's marriage, Amanda seducing Billy, Alison at D&D and her affair with psycho Keith, Jake and Jo...there is some good stuff.

• Members

I agree; the first season towards the end isn't really much different that S2. S3 and S4 are my absolute favorite seasons though, I cannot wait for them to come out. And actually, S5 is fairly good, here and there. I think S6 is airing on SoapNet now, at least on the weekends (Craig just killed himself and the Christine story is starting -- I hated that story), and some of it wasn't TOO bad, but it was just not the MP of old. Too many faces were gone and Amanda was too much of a whiney victim.

• Members

My problem wasn't that they were nice to each other, but the self-contained plots were so awful, so generic and they come off extremely dated now. The things that work about the first season are more the little character moments we get. For the most part the characters are poorly written cliches, but there are some shining stars like Jo, Amanda, Alison and (though she had the worst story) Rhonda.

I think the same problems continued in season two, but thankfully they began serialized plots and making some of the characters complex so there was more to like. For every Katya/Matt you have Michael and Kimberly! :D

BTW, my personal favorites are seasons five and seven. The cast was perfect these seasons and they had well thought out ideas for the entire season. Kimberly's death in season five was insanely good. I also liked season four after Brooke died, but I H-A-T-E-D her.

James from London on another Melrose forum has been reviewing the series from beginning to end. Here's one of his reviews, I agree with his basic thoughts which are usually one good thing and a sea of generic garbage.

Here's one of his more positive reviews, for Jo's first episode:

• Members

I enjoy James from London's reviews. Usually spot on.

I'm currently rewatching season 5 at the moment and although it started off well after the car crash of season 4 (which I really didn't enjoy) it seems to have lost its way. The McBrides originally injected a good deal of new blood into the show but characters are locked in story islands and have very little to do with one another. Kimberly's cancer is dragged out too long, same goes for Peter/Taylor, Craig is irritating beyond belief and Jake/Alison should have left at the end of season 4. Because there are so many characters and so little attempts to intertwine them, there just isn't enough time to devote to every story.

I agree with season 7 though. Although it had lost a little bit of its fun and John Haymes Newton was as interesting as watching paint dry, it was a lot tighter.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

This is so unfair... on Amazon.com each DVD set costs like $ 35 (£ 18 - € 27). In the United Kingdom, each set is available for £35.99 (€ 52)!!. Why do we have to pay twice as much? In Germany/France/Benelux, both sets aren't released at all, so I have to buy UK imports. :angry:

• Members

Just got mine in the mail. I can't believe there were 32 episodes in Melrose Place's season one!! I thought that was impossible. I love 90210. I can't wait to start watching these!! I don't have SoapNet so it has been a WHILE since I saw MP or 90210!!

Archived