Worst Soap Stan Wars of all Time?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, I remember the Manny fans torpedoing anything that had Danny and Michelle interacting with anyone BUT each other.

During the first time they were separated when NSA was playing Michelle, I thought NSA and Frank Dicoupolous's Frank had some really great chemistry with each other. I would have loved to see that pairing explored. But the Manny fans had fits. Someone finally got smart enough to just cut their losses with this chemistry-challenged Manny incarnation and just write them out of the show together. It's a shame, because both actors and characters had good rapport and chemistry (whether sexual or friendly) with just about everyone BUT each other.

The Brad Cole fans who got him back on GL should have been rounded up and shipped out of the country.

And I cannot for the life of me understand any GH fan who ever wanted their favorite female characters paired with a remorseless serial killer (the Jizam wars).

• Members

This is a little different, but back in the 80s when Usenet was utilized, Hill Street Blues fans hated soap opera fans for coming into the television newsgroup and discussing soap operas. I haven't see any of the fights in the Usenet archives, but I've read that they were intense. Those stopped after the soaps got their own newsgroup in '84.

• Members

A match made in heaven!

I keep wondering why she doesn't get her nose fixed. whistling.jpg

As for any "raw deal" she got--I don't think for a minute AP wanted to stay in soaps. Her jumping from L&O proves she's not staying around for a paycheck.

• Members

Lumi vs Ejami for me. I also rememeber Josh/Reva and Richard/Reva being bad. Also in non-couples I really enjoyed the Kate vs Sami fan battles in the late 90s and early 2000s. I use to go to the old Turtle-Run message board and always enjoyed that battle playing out.

• Members

OMG the tne entitlement of the Peg & Pem fans was insane, PRo fans seemed more sane and calm

Don't for get the Justy and Lusty fan wars, they got bad too, seriously Lusty fans shipped that couple with every Lucy recast there was, it was so eye roll worthy, and they'd attack Justy fans

*ahem* I freaking loved Bo & Cassie :P

OMG I remember that lol

• Members

OMG, I loathed those obsessive Matt & Vanessa fans that I would see on the AOL message board. They would go on and on and on, dissecting every interview that Maeve Kinkead or Paul Rauch would give. They would basically say that us non-obsessive fans were stupid for not seeing what Rauch and the powers-that-be were doing to Matt & Vanessa (and Maeve Kinkead in particular). I felt I had to defend myself for actually liking the character of Dinah Marler (and her kick-ass portrayer, Wendy Moniz), because Dinah's sole purpose on the show was to kick Vanessa down and treat her (i.e. Maeve) like garbage. Ugh. Just a stubborn stick-up-the-ass bunch of people. I'm guessing they all stopped watching GL when their savior and prince left Springfield in 2000.

• Members

I think some of those complaints were fair (I think Rauch had it out for Maeve, and I think Dinah was used by several regimes to drag Vanessa down), but I never liked Matt/Vanessa. I used to laugh when they'd try to pair Matt with other women and then get scared off because of all the Matessa hysteria. I just wanted Vanessa to be free of that generic piece of ass. At least she eventually was.

• Members

I, myself, received a huge, sadistic thrill out of seeing the Manny fans lose their collective [!@#$%^&*] over the brief hookup between Michelle and Daniel Cosgrove's Bill. In fact, I think part of me rooted for Bill and Michelle just to stick it to 'em. Which is not a good reason for endorsing a soap couple, when you think about it.

• Members

And that, Grey Bunny, is what I consider to be the greatest damage that Matt, Vanessa, and their fans did to the show overall. Yes, they got what they wanted, but at what cost? Vanessa was watered down significantly (more so, in fact, than when she had been with Billy) in order to make her pairing with Matt work. Moreover, in order to keep her and Matt's relationship interesting, the writers had to come up with some of the most far-fetched, convoluted drama I've witnessed in my years of soap-watching -- stories that, in many cases, seemed to exist solely to make Vanessa look like a hysterical fool. (The less I say about Matt's flirtation with Beth....) And for what, I ask? All it did was make it impossible for Maeve Kinkead to remain with the show -- something "true" GUIDING LIGHT fans never wanted -- taking Kurt McKinney and all their fairweather fans with them.

Archived