Worst Soap Stan Wars of all Time?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup. They were finally able to free her once their fanbase left. At first I wondered why they ended the show with Vanessa being with Billy instead of Matt, but then realized that that small but rabid group of fans had been driven away, and most people were happy that she was paired up with Billy at the end.

I do think they had some valid points too. Even looking back and watching some old episodes from 1998-99, there are multiple times when characters make digs about Vanessa's age vs. Matt's (from the doctor who recommended her getting a nip 'n tuck to the Reva Clone thinking Matt was Vanessa's son).

Yup, yup, yup. 100% agreed.

• Members

For a long time, I thought Jason and Liz were more a myth than an actual pairing. Usually, when you have two characters on a soap that TPTB clearly want to be a couple, they will chemistry-test the !@#$%^&*] out of them. But Jason and Liz...? Yes, there was friendship, and perhaps even "heat," between them. It seemed to me, though, that the idea of pairing them was more like a fan-fic idea that TPTB at GH decided to run with later.

• Members

Brianna Brown got a lot of crazy fans attacking her over her portrayal of Lisa Niles on GH.

And let's not forget the Kirsten Storms vs. Jen Lilley fan war.

But then there's my favorite of when Drake Hogestyn and his family were attacked in the backyard by the guy who thought "John Black" was the devil.

• Members

That depends, I guess, on when it became fashionable to create portmanteaus out of couples' names. I don't think hardly anyone was doing that pre-Internet; and even then, it probably took until the early '00's, as people became more and more net-savvy, for the habit to catch on.

• Members

Blake and Ross were referred to as Bloss in the 1997 Guiding Light book, so for someone who wasn't involved in the online community in the 90s, it most likely was the first time they saw such a nickname. Like I mentioned early the first stan names for GL were the arguing Roger/Holly & Fletcher/Holly fans, and that was an ugly war in the 90s. Bloss and Quola were the first where it was done for a positive reason within the GL community. The use of these kind of names in popular culture became the thing with Bennifer (Ben Afleck & J-Lo).

I have mixed feelings about Matt and Vanessa as one of my best friends in that time period was a huge stan of theirs, though she was sane. She did some things like stuffing polls, but she didn't expect GL to be the Matt/Vanessa show. She didn't freak out if Vanessa or Matt had scenes with other people either, though she didn't appreciate the Beth material. Neither did I as I found it ageist.

• Members

No offense but Max was largely irrelevant by the time Bo and Gabrielle got together. The show had already marginizlaed him andany prospects of them reuniting as a couple came and went within months of her returning to the show. Bo wasnt doing anything to "take" Max's place, whom was soon gone anyway. There really much there for a fan war to get riled up against

I loved Bo and Lindsay and was a fan, but to be honest I thought hte fighting had more to do with Nora vs Lindsay. Bo being the main reason they fought, divided up the fan bases with one sided rooting for one of the women to get him

• Members

Oh, Cheap, you wound me. wink.png

I actually thought Malone made a VERY good effort at building Max & Gabrielle up as friends, a foundation which could have led a

MUCH stronger reunion than whatever had occurred in 2001, and could led to Max being a real threat to her and Bo, making him more

relevant to the show and giving him a chance to rehabilitate Max as a character after everything JFP did to him during her tenure. Alas, the network stepped in, and it was not to be.

To this day, depending on what happens with OLTL 2.0, I would still welcome those two back in a heartbeat. But I'm getting off-topic here.

If the Internet had been around back then, I wonder if there would have been Alan/Monica/Rick/Lesley fan wars.

Archived