Worst Soap Stan Wars of all Time?

• Members

I loved Bo/Sarah. I don't recall any static about Bo/Nora. They became a couple very organically. They were two well developed characters who were allowed to slowly build. I think part of the reason stan wars suck so much now it that characters careen from one plot point pairing to the next and people are expected to forget what they saw. I think of that whole unpleasantness with JR/Annie on AMC. They were clearly in love and then all of a sudden JR was hating on her again and then freaking out over Marissa. Writers hit these arbitrary resets and expect the audience to play along.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved Annie Parisse. She got a raw deal.

I remember the Holden and Carly flap, where (like Drake Hogestyn re: John and Kate) Jon Hensley seemed ready to gnaw his own leg off in the press to get out of Holden and Lily and keep that thing going. I couldn't really blame him.

• Members

I guess one thing that sticks out to me is that he and Nora seemed to be coming together as a couple not very long after Sarah died. This is a woman who was presumed dead one year, was found alive the next, and then died for real the year after that.

And Bo tried to jump off a building shortly afterwards, too. I could some Sarah fans being pissed if he moved on to Nora that quickly.

• Members

Linda Gottlieb intended to recast Sarah again after firing Grace Phillips. It was RSW who stepped in and told her to let it go.

I think at that point, the Phillips recast had been so unpopular (I liked her, but I just don't like Jensen Buchanan) that the fanbase was all but gone, so people were primed for Bo and Nora.

• Members

There was never a chance for there to be any war over Nora/Bo/Gabrielle because Malone and Griffith were never allowed to get that story off the ground. They had planned a big quad with them and Max in 2003, and if there is anything the JFP years taught me it's that they could've milked that [!@#$%^&*] as a frontburner saga for years and years. It was gold. But that was the year Frons took full control, and he locked down all veteran storylines at OLTL.

• Members

I would think Bo/Sarah affected Bo/Cassie (a pairing which I have never seen fans of) more than Bo/Nora. Bo/Nora was very fast, but at that time, the actors had the chemistry to make it work.

When soaps were actually about romance, and not baiting fans and expecting fans to get off on the degradation of women, viewers were more accepting.

• Members

Ain't that the truth. That was the major problem with Y&R under MAB. They went from people working in offices everyday and having a reason to ineract to bouncing off each other all around town but moastly in the GCAC and Crimson Lights. It was very OLTL-esque.

• Members

I never saw that as a direct triangle because Val and Abby were never fighting over Gary at the same time, but it did work in that both women had rooting interests. I don't know how many fans were into Gary/Abby but when I started watching the reruns I became a big fan of them.

Archived