Worst Soap Stan Wars of all Time?

• Members

Actually, juppiter, I feel as if Gary and Val were endgame, but David Jacobs stalled their reconciliation for as long as possible in order to keep viewers hanging. Jacobs might have wanted to wait even longer than he actually did, too, except the obstacles keeping them apart were becoming repetitive, at best, and ridiculous, at worst.

Believe me, Cat, the GUIDING LIGHT fan wars were horrendous. However, unlike with most other soaps, GL's stan wars were less about two opposing fan bases fighting for supremacy and more about one rabid base (or another), who often were in the minority in terms of overall viewership, attempting to represent the needs and concerns of all GL fans, both veteran and neophyte. As Manny fans said BITD: "As Manny goes, so goes GUIDING LIGHT."

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, they are pretty bad...and irrational to boot. Sharon is just sssooo sleezy and horrible but Phyllis is just misunderstood. As someone who despised Sharon from day 1 and respected Phyllis over the years (but never really liked), even I can see that their arguments makes no sense.

It was easy for them to alienate the fan bases with MABa unrealistic and unbalanced writing to prop Phyllis. It was blatant...but they all ate it up like it was Phyllis' due. And resentment grew.

• Members

They don't mind the friendship. They are just afraid that she will be paired romantically with Jack again. And I have realized that many think that Jack is not hot enough for her. They want her with some young stud (JM and JB have spoiled them). IMO, she needs to go back to the end game couple they brought her on to be paired with or send her packing. Jack Abbot is the only reason she was brought back on this show. But I am sure that MS will be doing alot of backstage posturing and sucking up to get out of the pairing with Jack and to get with some hot stud. I hope that JFP and JG doesn't fall for her like MAB did.

• Members

Because MS and JM had hot chemistry and they wanted to pimp the triangle. So they turned it into a quad that was still Sharon and Nick's love story. By the time they had gotten all the milage out of it that they could, Sharon Case had fallen into disfavor with MAB. So then MAB tried to make Phick a real couple to spite SC (I am sure of it...lol) but it was too late. The damage had been done. No one but Phyllis fans believed that Nick loved the way he should and that she was his first choice. They tried to promote Phyllis to lead protagonist instead of antagonist...hence Avery's appearance. No dice. And out of all this, Jack is the one who struggled the most. I don't know whose love life has taken more of a beating...Jack post Phyllis or Neil post Dru.

• Members
I don't have a whole lot of use for Jack these days, but I don't think in this case the online fans represent the general audience. I don't think anyone other than a few Phyllis stans miss Ronan or JB and MS and PB work perfectly together. I'm not a,fan of sexy time on soaps at this point, but I do find PB and MS work better with each other than with any other actors and that they have great acting chemistry. MS also doesn't use her OTT hysterics and gestures when she works with him for the most part that seems to permeate her other pairings.

• Members

Just going by the stans I see on the internet...and no, they do not represent all the viewing audience or ALL her fans. I agree that Jack was always Phyllis' best pairing. MS doesn't try to steal scenes from PB so much. Probably because he is such a strong actor that she can't...he is kinda like VR that way.

Archived