GH: AMC actress joining

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm for flexibility with casting. I've watched GH for years, but have only sampled other ABC soaps, so all of this Super Mega ABC Soap Universe stuff is lost on me, but glad others enjoyed it.

Seems to me in this case they had the character Blaze, a singer who had experienced sexual harassment, whom the audience has learned is LGBT and has a very conservative Latino family. Casting call went out for a Latina woman of a certain age to play her mother. Eva La Rue got cast. The part is the part.

They could have made Blaze Maddie and made Eva Maria, but that's just not how the story was conceived. Blaze has been on for a while (if she were new, and they knew they were hiring Eva, maybe they would have made her a Santos). If they decided to make this character Maria, now the story is no longer about an LGBT woman navigating her traditional Catholic family and her budding relationship with Kristina, but some huge retcon story about how Maria has this other daughter who came to be in Port Charles. Speculation will gear up about whether Sydney Penny or Mark Consuelos will appear. It becomes a totally different story. And, IMO, GH already has enough of a fetish of trying to make every new character the long lost child of someone on canvas. 

It is unfortunate, to those who want more AMC characters on GH, that this apparently closes the door to bringing back Eva as Maria, but I'd argue it doesn't, given how many characters Howarth and Easton have played (crossovers, recasts, and new characters), in quick succession. So, if Blaze's mother turns out to be a short time role, and Eva is interested in a long contract, they can always bring her back as Maria Santos in 6 months, but with a long term story plan instead of shoe-horning her in, and the audience should accept that.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

I think it's goofy too. She's a nice enough young woman in her role in the very silly and retro '80s (yet topical, yet very poorly done) "Chase goes undercover off the clock as a rocker because we like Josh Swickard singing to try and nail Brook Lynn's scummy old producer" storyline that brought her on, but I knew a little of her would go a long way for me. Still, I'm giving this a chance as I enumerated in the GH thread.

• Members

Brando? Ace?! Rocko?!! Even Leo! Blaze as has been stated is her stage name. Her real name is Allyson. Now I know someone will say, What's up with this character getting two names?!! Liz only has half a name! 

Please register in order to view this content

What will be, ... 

• Members

This is giving me "Flash"-backs to OLTL, if you catch my drift. 

Please register in order to view this content

I, too, am adopting a wait-and-see approach to ELR's addition to the cast.  Who knows?  Maybe it will lead somewhere interesting?  *shrug*

• Members

Tough s*** for them. GH is the last ABC soap standing and should be used to feature characters from OLTL, AMC, LOVING, RYAN’S HOPE, etc. It’s the price they must pay for the privilege of not having lost their soap yet.

Edited by Lye-C

• Members

Personally, it's much easier for me to handle ELR joining GH as a new character rather than seeing Roger Howarth back AGAIN!, but this time as Blaze's older brother, Pepito.

Edited by Khan