GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

I don’t think people would be bitching about flashbacks so much if the dialogue wasn’t so exposition heavy. Television is a visual medium, this isn’t radio. Show, don’t tell, especially when you have the archive to do so. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@ranger1rg really bold to tell someone why they feel the way they do. And this is a soap opera, a continuing story, the lifeblood of the damn thing is have one moment influence the next so yeah Bobbie's death is creating new story for the people left behind.

• Members

It's amazing that GH supposedly has a budget but they still give us that raggedy ass cringe worthy opening credits. 

Yeah they have access to flashback's they should utilize them. So they have to pay maybe Brad Maule or someone a royalty, big F*cking deal, I doubt it would break the bank

• Members

Credit is indeed due to them and it helped that, by this point, Frons was gone, having killed 2/3 soaps, so Frank and Ron were free to make the good choice they did to bring back that surge of vets in time for the 50th and it's continued on for the last decade. As La Lucci put it, Frons had the fatal combination of ignorance and arrogance. 

I liked the first episode well enough - Genie, Kin, Finola, Lynn, Kristina, and Jon all display the emotion of real friends losing a real friend in Jackie. Genie's speech, in particular, was about Jackie, rather than Bobbie. And that's fine by me. Jackie brought Bobbie to life and her memory is worthy of tribute. 

• Members

Really bold to tell someone what the definition of a soap opera is.

Look, I have no problem with Bobbie's death creating new story. I do have a problem with her memorial being secondary to that new story. GH could have honored Zeman properly while also introducing new story, and that didn't happen.

I had such high hopes that GH would do this right, especially since the Sonya Eddy/Epiphany tribute was so powerful and emotional. This is so far below acceptable that I don't know what to say.

• Members

They have very few writers on staff - or scenes where it's allowed - to not be pure exposition vs. character. The stuff last year with the vets dealing with their emotions over Ryan's death were very good because it was actually rooted in their history together, as they all had a long, dark experience with Ryan going back to '92. But too often stuff is just very basic explainers for the audience.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Sounds good. Stick with that emotion.

I wonder if Luke is Bobbie's contact. He had to fake his death because to avoid retaliation from human traffickers. Luke, the reformed rapist trying to right past wrongs by helping girls escape abuse is not the worst way they could bring Geary back for a spell.

• Members

Jackie died during the writers strike.  The strike concluded at the end of September.  Writers began work at beginning of October.  This was filmed in early December.  So this was written and filmed in two months.  And that included time to arrange for Brighton and Carnes to appear.

Edited by janea4old