GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think this is key. I read someone talking about the speical & they said it really wasn't about the show's history at all. Instead it was about where the show is headed. And that, to me, makes it even worse that they highlighted the return of JasonM the way they did. 

However, I think of 2 quotes by Frank earlier when they had the more traditional non-celebration of the anniversary. Because that's what they're doing - not celebrating legacy.

Anyway, Frank said 2 things, one tracks & the other is off. 

"For a large part of the audience it is an incredibly nostalgic, familiar show that they love to check into." - Frank Valentini, Variety GH60, April 2023

"We're not focusing on the history. We're moving forward with the history." - Frank Valentini, Variety GH60, April 2023

So, I tend to think that they're sort of having an identity crisis as a show. 

And, as a result of this kind of schizophrenic philosophy they inadvertently made Steve Burton way more important than they likely meant to. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Is there someone at ABC Steve is sleeping with that he gets this kind of press?

It’s not like Steve took off in film or Primetime, or that he created a Marcil-like ratings spike in his full time returns in 2001 or 2017. 

In fact, the best material we get is when he leaves! I still remember when Carly visited Sam after Jason’s first death. The acting by both woman was the best work they did all year!

I don’t understand how this c-list actor keeps a job when he is impossible to work with, tried to pyramid scheme his fans, and doesn’t bring in the ratings!

When you watch the 35th anniversary Primetime special on this, you see just how glaringly bad the 60th special is. 

A big bummer because the show actually has a critical mass of actors from the “big” storylines still healthy and active on canvas: Luke/Laura Wedding, BJ’s Heart, AIDS, Breast Cancer, heck even the Port Charles hotel fire!

Even the AMC faux-documentary by fictional Hayley Santos was better than this mess by real life Producer Frank Valentini. 

I’m not sold on Nicole Paagi as Maxie either. She reminds me more of Kate! Maybe this role really just needs a long break…

• Members

I loved the 35th anniversary special!  I was going to link it in the 60th thread, but I was having trouble finding the full episode or even anything other than Sonny/Brenda/Jax segments in good quality.  I know it exists somewhere or did at one time.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah, Steve Burton should've gone down hard for that Monavie [!@#$%^&*].

Now he's got this fitness/life coach racket going and I'm wondering

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Khan

• Members

Carly and Elizabeth broke my heart at Kelly’s. At least in this scene they do et have to explain why the restaurant is always empty. 

Liz really deserves to be front and Center on this rig. She is played by a strong and nuanced performer. There is a great familiarity that Liz brings to the canvas. Between today’s scenes and Aidan’s coming out, this show would be so smart to work hard to give Liz a meaningful spot on the canvas. 

…but where all the flashbacks?

• Members

Two short flashbacks today of Bobbi with Carly. WTF? When Liz was speaking of Bobbi's influence on her, insert flashback of Liz and Bobbi. Nope. Lucy going on and on, Scotty going on and on about Bobbi, insert flashback. Nope. Traci and Bobbi? No. Sonny surely would get a flashback of himself with Bobbi, but no dice. Why didn't they do that? It makes no sense. Are ALL the flashbacks coming tomorrow? I doubt it.

They've had almost a year to piece this together for JZ/Bobbi.

As for SBu? Like he's been saying: he keeps getting the phone calls after 36 years in this business. I don't blame him one bit for taking whatever is being offered to him. He's a perfected soap character in his many incarnations. I missed most of his early years, so I'm not going to apologize for enjoying him now.

• Members

These episodes with characters talking about Bobbie -- the complete opposite of "Show, Don't Tell" -- could not be more annoying and infuriating.

Talking about Bobbie for a week instead of during a 2-day memorial does NOT make it a better celebration and remembrance of Jaclyn Zeman. This is just a reminder that FOR YEARS this effing show has ignored Bobbie and kept her off canvas.

• Members

The show featured Bobbie and Jackie pretty often as a supporting family player in the last 10-15 years, IMO. There were points where she was appearing as often as the semi-regular recurring vets. Frankly her face issues got in the way of some of it, I think. The 2000s were much more on-off depending on the time.

I do think they need to show a lot more flashbacks and I think too often Frank or the network eschew that because they don't want to remind people of a preferred past vs. the now.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I don't agree. I think this is an interesting way to pay heed to an important player. And, I think I am feeling the experience more. But, I do think they aren't using enough clips. There should be flashbacks galore. On UglyX someone posted that NV had said they aren't doing flashbacks because they're too expensive. Well, basically that's because a royalty, no a residual may have to be paid. And, if that is really their reason then they need to reprioritize to be able TO afford them. Because they are that important. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
more

• Members

OK, Donna, but you just made my point that this isn't working as is.

The clips are essential. Without them, we're left with people visiting Carly. They tell her they're sorry, they start to walk away, and she calls them back. Why? To TALK. It's not working.

Jaclyn Zeman died 8 MONTHS AGO. You mean in all that time GH couldn't reprioritize enough to afford clips of Bobbie Spencer?