GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I respect what you say here, Errol, but when you watch the special, you'll see that there's really not a focus on current story that can bring in new viewers -- or even lapsed viewers.

I feel the concentration was on the production, on the look of the special. For ex., the entrances and exits of actors were expertly filmed on various sets...and we did get to see they were actually sets. Emphasis was also on spreading the joy so some lead actors (Laura Wright) were treated especially well with dialogue while other leads were also treated well.

Genie Francis? We didn't see much of her during the hour, but she was given the final lines, the toast to GH, the cast, and the fans. I was pleased that Becky Herbst was given so much to do.

So for me, the special was style over substance. I don't think anything about it pulls in relapsed viewers beyond the "Jason is my everything" crowd.

• Members

What was with Stamos talking so fast it was hard to keep up? That business about his favorite time on GH when Sammy D. Jr. was on and they had some sort of jam session with Blackie on the drums. Why didn't they show that clip, I wonder? Stamos told everyone to go look it up on Youtube. Wow, really? Does he have some sort of rights to the scenes? (I highly doubt it). Can't figure that one out.

• Members

I like John Stamos, but that whole thing was a mess. They let him riff, which is why they ended up with fast-talking nonsense, and then kept it in. Even worse, they gave him MORE to do. The Blackie clip was ridiculous and gave us nothing about why the character became popular. There was no way to look at that clip and say "Oh, THAT'S why they brought back Stamos for the special!"

• Members
Posted (edited)

It is always odd to me when a character like Alexis is suddenly demure about kissing her boyfriend.

It's like, babe, you've done it in an office and on a hospital gurney with men of very poor moral value.  And, you have three adult daughters from different men.  Now you're going to be careful in a relationship?

Edited by j swift

• Members

This poor temp. The latest Faux!Maxie in the trenches for reasons we needn't enumerate. Sitting here having to toss out exposition about the biggest storyline in the character's history. It’s too bad they couldn’t get Molly Burnett back again, she would be my first choice for a Maxie recast in a pinch even if I think the character needs a long rest.

If Guza was still here Sonny and Lois would 100% fúck. The UK soaps might do it too tbh, they love pairing up the spare ends of supercouples. I'm not saying it's a good idea (it's not at all, at least not long-term) but it's there.

• Members

I loved Molly Burnett as Maxie.

Lois/Sonny might be pretty unpopular, but I don't find out of the realm of possibility.  I would certainly hate it.   I don't think it's in Lois's character, but who knows?  We don't have any idea the status of her friendship to Brenda,  Ned married her best friend and she didn't care, she's already dated a mobster (Alcazar),  Brooklyn is close to Sonny, etc.  A lot of the reasons she wouldn't do it don't really exist anymore. 

People loved Jason/Brenda as a potential pairing and that was even worse because it was both Robin and Sonny's bff's. 

• Members

I didn’t mind Jason/Brenda so much. I just can’t see it as long term. Although if we had gotten to see Sam’s baby story with Brenda like it was supposed to be maybe my mind could have been changed.

This does remind me though of Steve telling them they should bring Robin back. And Kimberly agreeing as long as they don’t redo Jason/Robin. The whole point was he wanted her as a love interest again, and she was like nah.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Please register in order to view this content

But at least it wouldn't have me feeling like I'm watching a black-box theater production of "The Lady or the Tiger."

Edited by Khan

• Members

These Liz and Carly scenes discussing Bobbie would have been so much more effective if Frank splurged on showing some Liz/Bobbie flashbacks, especially when Liz was talking about how supportive Bobbie was to her when she needed someone. It’s such an easy thing to do as well since these characters were never recast. 

• Members

Like the doors scene or not, its placement in the special was problematic.

You're celebrating 60 years of GH and THIS is what you leave your audience with??? As if Jesus is returning??? The Genie Francis toast should have ended the special.

• Members

Jason/Brenda didn't bother me much at all, but nothing really happened.  If things did happen it probably would have.  At that point we were also unclear how over Robin was about the romance.  And since it's all hypothetical there's no way to really judge it.  I would assume the baby story would have played Sonny/Brenda as endgame and Jason would at very best be a bump in the road.

It was so cheesy.  They should have had Jason just drive through the Q mansion on his motorcycle like he did back in the day lol.

• Members

Did GH ever hear of "Show, Don't Tell"?

If we're getting Bobbie/Jaclyn Zeman clips later this week, I won't be as pressed about this, but hearing people talk about Bobbie endlessly while not seeing her in clips is...a choice.

And when Felicia and Maxie visited Barbara Jean's grave, why did the 30-year old grave marker look like it was just 3 days old?