GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

That's my problem with it -- once again, daytime trying to kiss up, acting as if they're honored that someone in primetime would be so kind about the soaps.

Take the open. Yes, Donna Mills and Morgan Fairchild were on GH, but they weren't legacy characters. Why have them open the show. People who watched the show -- and the ratings were not very good -- were there for GH, not for glimpses of primetime stars in the 80s.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, I concur. Yet all over people are talking about this as if it's a realistic possibility. After all this time the golden boy has a wishing & hoping fanbase. Hey, I'd be all for it & Keesha could return with a 24 year old son in tow. 

If I recall correctly, all they did was an end of show In Loving Memory screen. I never thought that was enough. 

• Members

That's why I stopped watching any primetime or other specials that are "devoted" to the soaps.  There's always this attitude that these events are doing soaps an enormous favor by giving them tributes and whatnot, and that soaps should be grateful whatever crumbs of recognition that they get from the "mainstream" or "legitimate" industries.

• Members

There was a lot of superfluous nonsense-even with the current cast.  Which it's great they get to celebrate that way.  But I don't care what Curtis/DT thinks about his current story or Brick talking about wanting an Emmy.  I would have probably just gone chronologically and hit the highlights of each decade and interview some relevant people about those storylines.  From the late 70's to the present you have numerous cast members who could speak to it.   If this was for the fans, and truly the fans, no one cares about half this crap.  We want to see clips and highlights.  If ABC or Frank thinks something like this show was going to get new viewers they are so wrong.  The best you might get out of it is some lapsed fans that see some flashbacks and remember how much they loved the show years ago and may tune in to see what's new.  And also, it's like 9 months too late for the actual 60th anniversary lol.

• Members

Look, all I'm saying is that SBu DID speak more as Harris Michaels than he ever did as Jason. He confirmed he felt that way too. I don't have a printout of his scripts nor know every last miniscule dialogue he ever uttered as proof. Just that as a daily viewer, it is obvious he spoke more on Days. Sheesh.

• Webmaster

I personally am sick of revisiting the 60s, 70s and especially the 80s of GH in terms of anniversaries. At this point, we're getting one every five years, and I don't know how much I can take of only seeing stuff about Luke and Laura, AIDS, and the like. While I have yet to watch the special myself, I'm glad they focused on more current content as the older stuff won't be bringing in any new sets of eyeballs. While you can embrace your history, you can't just sit on what happened in the past. 

In fact, as an example on the show, Laura is married to Kevin and Luke is dead. So why keep bringing up how big of a deal they were? You need to set the tone for what's happening now and in the future.

Maybe when the show the show is eventually canceled they can remind people about Luke and Laura, but I'm personally sick of it.

The character died years prior to the actor's death. Storyline-wise, there was no story to tell. Outside of honoring Alan with a plaque or something similar to what The Young and the Restless did for the character of Neil Winters, what else could they do?

• Members

The fact that Jill killed Alan off is part of what rankles the fans. What Y&R did for Kristoff/Neil is an example of amazingly getting it right! I think GH missed the boat with the last Roger Howarth character. He should have been Alan's long lost son & have gotten to know his father with Monica & photo albums & the like. IOW, a memorial tribute hidden in the writing & character history. As far as a plaque goes Alan is in that alcove off of the hospital chapel. I know there's a picture of him. I imagine there may be a plaque. Oops I typed plague. Fixed it! Nobody cared about Jimmy Lee Holt. 

• Members

Especially when everyone has acknowledged, once and for all, that Luke raped Laura.  Who wants to remind everyone else or be reminded that Daytime's Greatest Romance began with a sexual assault on the floor of a sleazy disco?

• Members

I think everyone's opinions can differ on this, but I assumed it was more of a celebration of 60 years of GH.  I want to see the 60 years of good times, not some of the gimmicky stuff that happened a few months or years ago.  I can agree with the Luke/Laura of it all especially since I know it can be quite triggering and ugly for a lot of people and we do tend to see the same clips of L/L, BJ, Stone/Robin over and over.

So even if you are trying to pivot to the future and pivot to what's next and current I don't feel like that happened?   Again, the big announcement was Steve returning, but were there any clips of Jason at all?  How would that bring a new viewer in?  I also think a Day of Days like preview of some coming events would have been great. 

Anyhow, I still think it's a nice sentiment and that the thought was in the right place.  

• Members

Ha!   It's not even that.  The show didn't even try to splice together a cool what's coming up promo.  They just had Steve Burton walk through a door with two less than thrilled co-stars.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

And today we get CamMat in full Ryan Lavery mode. I cannot believe he has reverted to licking his lips every third line. Shades of WhisperSpit and Frankenstare.

I heard he has a bigger gig coming up. It's not Hallmark, but something else maybe? Please let the Soap Gods remove this horrid "Drew" character once and for all.

• Members

I can't even figure out how that teaser tied in with the premise for GH.  Like, instead of a bunch of random doors that looked like they were borrowed from a community theater, why not have him enter through the ER doors instead?

Don't worry.  Now that

Please register in order to view this content

Drew is as much as gone.