GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

This episode was perfect. I full on ugly cried at the end. 

I’m still processing my emotions from it, and that’s what good soap opera does. I won’t spoil it for anyone who hasn’t watched it yet. Let’s give this 24 hours to sink in. 

Where the show really got this right was limiting the cast the members who have history with Bobbie/Jackie and letting each one shine. The flashbacks were perfect, I was especially moved by the one for Lucas. I still remember that moment so clearly and what it meant to me a gay teen at Lucas’ age. And lastly, the scenes were long. The emotions were allowed to flow between the actors, between the actors and the audience. This is the classic soap we needed. 

The scene with Lucas and the reporter at the end, every note, every gesture, the reporter’s quivering lip… oh, what magic is this genre able to create when we let it. 

Long live General Hospital. Long live Bobbie Spencer. Thank you Jacky Zeman for today’s gift. 

Now I’m going to go back to my ugly crying. 

Edited by AMCHistory

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Interview with Brighton Hertford (who played BJ as a child,
Now appearing as ... the reporter from Amsterdam ... )
(no spoilers, nothing about what happens in the episodes at all)
https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/exclusive-brighton-hertford-on-her-deeply-meaningful-general-hospital-homecoming/

Interview with Lynn Herring about seeing Brighton Hertford again 
Also spoiler-free.
https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/exclusive-ghs-lynn-herring-lucy-on-reuniting-with-brighton-hertford-ex-b-j/

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Just finished watching ... 4 days ago I was full of compliments over the way they were building up to the memorial & allowing characters to learn of Bobbie's death, react, and put one foot in front of the other ... 2 days ago I was pissed because of the lack of flashbacks ... 24 hours ago I was in turmoil not sure if I approved of them attaching this rescue/human trafficking story to Jackie Zeman's one & only chance to be memorialized. Thinking perhaps it was brilliant but not sure ... Now crying, glad for today's flashbacks, overwhelmed with the new sign Liz painted, ... and sure that it was indeed brilliant. Congratulations, Frank! You've done well. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Of course Edward and Lila are there as hospital board members.  

I read somewhere today in an unverified source, that the larger picture of Steve Hardy as Chief of Staff was originally in the hospital board room?  Anyone know if that's true?

If so, the top row makes sense.

The rest of the photos seem to be by job and not seniority.
Second row is doctors, and bottom row is nurses.

Comparing the March 2023 and January 2024 wall of photos, I don't think they added more paneling. 
I think they moved the nurses' photos all over one slot to the left, to make room for Bobbie.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I legit haven't watched an entire episode of GH in decades, not since Claire Labine left as head scribe. I've seen clips and partial eps here and there, but nothing that satisfied me or made me want to tune back in regularly.

That being said, I've actually sat down and watched the last few episodes (it helped a lot that so many vets were featured prominently).

I'm shocked to admit that I was pleased with today's episode (January 11, 2024), and felt it was an honorable and touching send-off to a beloved actress and character.

And it made me cry. A crusty curmudgeon like me, who hasn't shed a tear over a soap since Maureen Bauer (TGL), and BJ and Stone (GH) died in the 1990s!

Hell has frozen over, LOL!

Good job, GH.

• Members

Amen. I wanted an ugly cry so badly. Today delivered. 

I actually rewatch yesterday. With a few view of the story and what was to come, I was better able to appreciate the story they were building up to yesterday. These two episodes are soap opera at its finest. 

• Members

Just finished today's episode. It's true you had to suspend disbelief but it was worth it. It was a worthy tribute for Jackie Zeman and Bobbie Spencer.

This episode should be submitted for the show's best drama series Emmy reel. Nobody would stand a chance against them. 

• Members

was just making a comparison. no need to get your knickers in a twist.

and for the record, this was the conversation ‘steep curve’ referenced.

I didn't think that was too bad, although I may be grading on a curve because of other memorials like Hal's that I found somewhat distasteful (mainly because they kept "joking" about how many children he had by various women)

Edited by wonderwoman1951

• Administrator

I'm so glad I didn't read this thread before watching yesterday and today's episode.  I had no idea Angela was BJ and that it was the original actress.  Wow!!  There were two moments where I started crying. 

The first one was: the scene with Angela/Maxie/Felicia outside of Kelly's.....Felicia tells Angela, "You have really kind eyes. Has anyone ever told you that?"  I started crying because I actually thought the actress was Jackie's daughter.  LOL. I don't even know if Jackie has a daughter but for some reason (I guess the red hair), I thought she was.  (I was close....sort of. LOL). I also thought, "For a non-actress, she's pretty good." LOL  And when Felicia told Maxie that she and her kids were her "everything," I noticed Angela was holding back tears.  And then she tells Maxie, "You and your mother really have a special bond."  "Yeah, she's the best." "I feel the same way about mine."   TEARS!! 

The second one was: Angela again like she's about to cry......"Anytime.....champ."   OMG THAT'S BJ!!???  TEARS!      LOL

I've always been a champion of Dan and Chris' work.  I just think they do more good than bad, and they are by far miles ahead of Josh Griffith, Ron Carlivati and Brad Bell.  There's a reason why I think GH is constantly the best soap year after year since they've taken over.  And to learn that bringing Brighton back and having her being the reporter was their idea, just made my opinion of them go even higher. 

PS.  Spoiler free makes soap operas, and anything you watch, so much better.   I don't remember the last time I had an OMG moment about a revelation.  It reminded me how much I love soaps. 

• Members

If anyone can figure out the legal terminology, below is an excerpt on flashbacks from the Network Television Code contract. My (probably incorrect) understanding is unless the actor is in the current episode making their current rate, they would have to pay a then-contract actor 100% of the "minimum program fee" or a non-contract actor 100% of their "performance fee" at the time they filmed the episode used for the flashback. No idea what any of this means but sounds...expensive.

As flashbacks (brief scenes from one episode in a series used as part of a story in another episode in a series) provided that a performer in the flashback who is not otherwise engaged to perform services on the program in which the flashback is utilized shall be entitled to one-hundred percent (100%) of the applicable minimum program fee, or if not under contract at the time of such broadcast, one-hundred percent (100%) of his performance fee for the episode used in the flashback.

It's also 1000% why we hardly see any actors in flashbacks that aren't in the episode themselves. A few months ago, Ava flashed back to Adam Huss as Nikolas early in the episode and that's how I knew without a doubt he'd be in the episode in new footage by the time it was over (and I was right). 

I want to know if the editor missed Scott Clifton in the background of today's Bobbie/Tracy flashback or if Frank knew he was there but hoped no one would notice and he wouldn't have to pay him.

Edited by alexisfan07