CBS Daytime

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Recall the 1996 LA Times item abt CBS asking the Bells for a new soap the yr before? Basically CBS was using the threat of expanding the Bell "empire" as a weapon against P&G so they would go along with what CBS really wanted. P&G played right into their hands. CBS handed down mandates of changes to ATWT & GL. The 1995 executive shuffle came from a CBS directive. Laibson to GL, Valente to ATWT & Jill to AW. It was the yr before that Trach finally retired as P&G in Charge of Production & Ken Fitts stepped up into that spot, new to it since he had previously only been a show EP. Surmise is that Lucy Johnson waited till Trach retired to pull this stuff because Trach wouldn't have allowed P&G to be their patsy. Under Fitts P&G rolled over & said, We'll do anything you want just don't cancel us. Laurie Caso with his years of experience was left out in the cold during the shuffle. Moonves having no idea what he was doing recommended Black & Stern to HW ATWT! All 3 NY P&G soaps were in the beginnings of big trouble. 

• Members

From Lemay's book

Early in 1974, I was approached about writing another of the six soaps produced by
Procter and Gamble. I resisted that but expressed an interest in expanding “Another World” to a daily sixty-minute format instead.

The sponsors and producer started complicated negotiations with the network and countered strong opposition from the ambitious young woman vice-president in charge of daytime programming. The show had long since led the network’s daytime ratings (and quite often led the ratings on all three networks), which made her reluctant to change its format. Procter and Gamble persisted and, certain that they would prevail, Paul and I made plans to enlarge the cast from twenty to over thirty and to widen the range of cultural and economic milieus in the story.

Well we have two versions as to who initiated and supported the expansion. 

• Members

That's very interesting and going by dates Lemay is first, I believe. I will check that. 

Her Stories: Daytime Soap Opera & US Television History by Elana Levine. Duke University Press. Durham and London. ©2020. pgs. 94-95.

Yes, Lemay claims 1974; Bolen first mentions a date 1975. 

It is really weird for this to be in CBS Daytime.  

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
more info

• Members

I exchanged emails with Elana Levine who has no problem with this as she says she never said it was Bolen's idea.Once again Pete Lemay's recollection of things during his time provide us with clarity. 

@danfling   If I had on a ball cap I would tip it to you!

Now, who wants to summarize this & post it where it belongs in NBC Daytime? 

• Members

What eventually happened was in the spring of 2004, right at the start of the Kriezman/Wheeler era was beginning CBS began offering an 10AM ET/9AM CT live feed for stations airing it 10AM so they wouldn’t be a day behind anymore. In addition to that CBS also actually offered up a 9AMET feed to a few stations that were airing the show at 9AM ET. 

Pretty all of the major CBS O&O in the top markets, especially in the northeast (NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Detroit, Pittsburgh, along with Miami, Orlando) ended up airing GL at 10AMET with Chicago airing GL at 9AM CT. Some stations in adjacent markets followed suite (Albany, Scranton-Wilkes Barre, etc.) A couple of west coast CBS O&O’s (KCBS and KCNC) did GL at 9AM as well for a while there in the late 90’s but both stations soon moved it back to its original afternoon timeslot. The kicker was when CBS bought KOVR, which had never aired GL since becoming a CBS station a decade before, as an O&O in 2005 they never added GL back to the schedule. At least in one Michigan market the local UPN/ My Network picked up the show after the CBS affiliate dropped it.

I do remember Day & Date, I was living in Idaho at the time it aired on the local ABC station at 4PM against Oprah on the NBC station while my CBS station had a very strange lineup (when I lived out west I never lived in a market which carried the CBS Daytime line up in the correct order!)

Now that I mentioned it, this was how each station had their line-up:

KMGH in Denver (now an ABC affiliate):

10AM: B&B 

10:30 TPIR

11:30 News

12:00 Y&R 

1:00 ATWT

2:00 GL

(KMGH later aired the ABC lineup out of order with GH on before OLTL)

KMVT in Twin Falls ID 1995-97:

9AM: TPIR

11:30 B&B

1:00 GL

2:00 Y&R

3:00 ATWT

KRQE in Albuquerque’s 3 line-ups when I live there 1997-2011:

10AM: ATWT (day behind)

1:30PM B&B

2:00PM GL

3:00PM Y&R

then

10AM ATWT (day behind)

11AM TPIR

1230 B&B

1:00 Y&R

2:00 GL

and Finally 

10:00 LMAD

11:00 TPIR

1230 B&B

1:00 Y&R 

2:00 ATWT(same day)/The Talk

• Members

When KUTV in Salt Lake City became an CBS O&O following the Mormon owned KSL (a very notorious pre-empter of shows they didn’t approve of for both CBS & NBC) becoming an NBC station in 1995, KUTV switched to an interesting schedule itself:

10AM: Y&R (same day with the 12ET/11CT feed)

11AM: ATWT (day behind)

12:00PM News 

1:00 GL

2:00 B&B

• Members

@Paul Raven @DRW50 @Gray Bunny @YRfan23 @Soapsuds @kalbir @SFK @Vee @Donna L. Bridges @danfling @dc11786 @robbwolff
@janea4old

I know I’ve shared this before, but back in 2006 in the good old days of WOST being a website I had compiled a list of CBS  stations airing the Daytime lineup at weird times, thanks it part to the onset of online TV schedules and various discussion. Not to mention I was inspired by KRQE airing an abnormal line-up of its own, and this is what I found at the time. This includes stations airing GL in the morning: 

KFMB-8 San Diego CBS
9:30AM B&B
11AM: Y&R
1PM: ATWT
2PM: GL

KKTV-11 Colorado Springs(CBS)

11AM: ATWT
12:30PM: B&B
1PM: GL
2PM: Y&R

KREX-5 Grand Junction(CBS)
10AM: Y&R
12:30PM B&B
2PM: ATWT
Florida

WFOR-4 Miami(CBS)

10AM: GL
12:30Y&R
1:30 B&B

WKMG-6 Orlando(CBS)

WINK-11 Fort Myers(CBS)

10:30AM B&B
1PM: Y&R
3PM: GL

Georgia

WTOC-11 Savannah(CBS)

12:30PM: Y&R
1:30PM: B&B
3PM: Montel Williams
4PM: GL

Hawaii

KGMB-9 Honolulu(CBS)

11:30AM: B&B
12PM: GL

Idaho

KBCI-2 Boise(CBS)

KIFI-8 Pocatello(CBS)

KMVT-11 Twin Falls(CBS)

11:30AM B&B
2PM: Y&R
3PM: ATWT

Illinois

WBBM-2 Chicago(CBS)
9AM: GL
11:30Y&R
12:30 B&B

WANE-15 Fort Wayne(CBS)

WSBT-22 South Bend(CBS)

WKYT-27 Lexington
9AM: Y&R

WLKY-32 Louisville
4PM: Y&R

WAFB-9 Baton Rogue

WGME-13 Portland

WBZ-4 Boston

Michigan

WNEM-5 Flint
--Station does not air GL, airs on local MyNetTV at 10AM instead--

WWJ-62 Detroit

Missouri

KOLR-10 Springfield
11:30AM Y&R
1:00 PM ATWT
2:00 PM GL

KMOV-4 St. Louis

Montana

KTVQ-2 Billings

2PM: TPIR

KXLF-4 Butte

KXGN-5 Glendive

2PM: Passions
3PM: Days

KPAX-8 Missoula

KRTV-3 Great Falls

New Mexico

KRQE-13 Albuquerque

10AM: ATWT
11AM: TPIR

New York

WCBS-2 New York City

WRGB-Albany

North Carolina

WRAL-5 Raleigh

1:30PM B&B

Oklahoma

KOTV-6 Tulsa

--station airs B&B at 12:35am overnights)

Pennsylvania

KYW-3 Philadelphia

WYOU-22 Scranton-Wilkes-Barre

WTVF-5 CBS Nashville:
11:30AM: Y&R
3PM: ATWT

KUTV-2 Salt Lake City
2PM: B&B

KGWN-5 Cheyenne 

10AM: TPIR
11AM: Y&R
12PM: ATWT
2PM: B&B

• Members

@soapfan770   Well, that is just incredible. And, so awful. Plus, it affirms all theories. Does it by chance have a particular date stamp? So much good stuff came out of WOST. I will be posting this with credit to you. And I will be emailing it to the woman who was Digest's GL Editor 1998-2005. 

• Members

I believe I am correct in saying that never when a soap was officially scheduled in the morning was there ever a success. Ted Corday did two for NBC when they wanted to try a morning block. Morning Star and Paradise Bay, I believe were their names. Both failed, pretty quickly.