CBS Daytime

• Members

My favorites were "Pyramid" and "Press Your Luck."  "Pyramid," because it was an opportunity to see B- and C-level celebrities pretend to care about helping "common folk" win money; and PYL, because it always cracked me up to see contestants take ten frigging minutes, hoping to get "nowhammynowhammynowhammynowhammy," only to press their button and - you guessed it - get whammied.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Also CBS daytime and primetime stars in cross-promotion.

The best cross-promotions were the Family Feud soap opera specials and The Price is Right soap themed showcases.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Khan, I watched faithfully when Pyramid aired on ABC.   I believed (and still believed) that the celebrity guests were all genuine in wanting his or her partner to win as much money as possible.

The show, when it aired on ABC, was the first game show that I had ever seen which featured daytime performers.   Stephanie Braxton (The Secret Storm, All My Children, The Edge of Night) was the first one that I saw on that show.

I have never watched an episode of Press Your Luck, though.

• Members

CBS soap anniversaries in 2024

September 18 - Guiding Light finale 15th anniversary

CBS game show anniversaries in 2024

March 31 - Card Sharks finale 35th anniversary

June 1 - Tattletales finale 40th anniversary

June 4 - Body Language premiere 40th anniversary

July 17 - Wheel of Fortune premiere 35th anniversary

October 5 - Lets Make a Deal premiere 15th anniversary

Edited by kalbir

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I had to LOL that this article started out gossiping about Saturday morning cartoons, especially on mentioning Snorks. Ah the joys of being an 80’s kid.

What I’m curious by is why did TVG think one of the game shows was a goner for the upcoming B&B? CBS had just ended the programming the 4PM slot, did someone think they could maybe save Capitol by moving it to a late AM timeslot? No way could I see TPIR getting bumped ahead at a time when the big three where already quietly turning back the 10AM ET slot back over the affiliates as well. 

Back to basics is laughable. And while not CBS related I will say poor Mary-Alise Recasener was pretty much done wrong by all the soaps she appeared on. 

• Members

CBS had three daytime game shows as of September 29, 1986: 10 am ET $25000 Pyramid, 10:30 am ET Card Sharks, 11 am ET The Price is Right. If one of the game shows was going to go, I'd say $25000 Pyramid was the most likely.

Card Sharks was not going anywhere because Mark Goodson allegedly demanded CBS to give Card Sharks the lead in to The Price is Right, otherwise he'd take both shows to another network. Bill Bell also allegedly demanded that CBS give B&B the lead out from Y&R, otherwise he'd take both shows to another network. I don't think CBS was going to risk losing their two biggest daytime shows The Price is Right and Y&R.

So 1987 we could have gotten

10 am Capitol

10:30 am Card Sharks

11 am The Price is Right

noon Local programming

12:30 pm Y&R

1:30 pm B&B

2 pm As the World Turns

3 pm Guiding Light

As for 10 am ET, ABC didn't program anything in that slot from the 1970s onward AFAIK, NBC gave it up in 1991, and CBS gave it up in 1993.

• Members

Did CBS aquire that 10am timeslot again for the Let's Make a Deal reboot or is LMAD just in GL's timeslot according to market. I ask because GL was on at 10am in NYC and that's the timeslot LMAD took over. Would make it sense to be paired back to back with TPIR.