CBS Daytime

• Members

Oh, yes, in fact yesterday in my forum we celebrated the premiere of LIAMST! Here are the dates we've already had in September, such a big month for soaps!

Strange Paradise begin Sept. 1969
Strange Paradise end Sept.1970
The Egg and I begin 9-3-1951
SFT begin 9-3-1951
Passions end 9-7-2007

Where the Heart Is begin 9-8-1969
ATWT end 9-17-2010
GL end 9-18-2009
LIAMST begin 9-18-1967

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There have been mentions of CAPITOL’s clearance dropping in 1986 and I was curious what the affiliates who didn’t carry the show did—did they just plug a 30 min syndicated show in that slot or did they time shift the other soaps? Such as moving Y&R back a half hour and just run ATWT and GL in pattern thereafter? 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Well, guys, I have another note without a cite & you know how that drives me crazy! I know I'm in the company of good minds & good researchers so I'm going to make a note of it here. Please be on the lookout for an SOD article in 2007 or 2008 about profitability. It said that GL was the only soap making money. If that jumps out at you, please holla! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Webmaster

First, I'd be shocked to learn SOD had printed such a detail. Would love to know the context.

Of course, based on the timing you noted, it would have to be in relation to the financial crisis of that time which eventually led to the cancellation of four soaps between 2009-2011. That being said, I would believe Guiding Light was the only one making money because their budget was slashed so much that they had porta potties as the primary method of using the bathroom for cast members. You can't be over budget when that's something already considered within your budget.

• Members

Totally on the money about the timing. Wouldn't it be ironic if the only soap to be making any money was operating under a hardship budget? If in fact the only way they could be profitable was to live day in & day out with circumstances that we understand now were then intolerable? I'm not so keen anymore on finding the cite. Thank you, Errol, for putting it in perspective. 

• Members

Just outta curiosity, does anyone know of areas in the Mountain Time Zone that had their daytime soap line-up airing at 10:30am to 2pm? I otherwise assumed Mountain would air the same as central (11:30 to 3pm). Mountain always seems to be the forgotten time zone since it affects the least amount of people in the US. 

Years ago when I was a teen visiting family in the northwest corner of Iowa, their local CBS affiliate was KELO out of Sioux Falls, SD. And I recall seeing a commercial for Bold & Beautiful and they said it aired at 11:30am. I would think then that Y&R aired before it at 10:30am unless KELO aired the soaps out of order. 

• Members

The first soap ever on CBS TV was The First 100 Years. It ran for 2½ years, beginning on 12-4-1950 and running until 6-27-1952. Its basis was a radio show from summer 1948. The name comes from an old saying we are no longer familiar with, "the first 100 years of a marriage are the hardest." In the story a couple gets married & moves into a Victorian monstrosity. Their 15 minutes of B&W TV per weekday dealt with troubles with their house & their in-laws & other ills of domesticity. They had a permanent house set in Liederkranz Hall. They had the dubious distinction of being the first soap to use this new-fangled thing called a teleprompter. It wasn't doing too badly, in the top 10 of current TV soaps, but P&G thought they could do better. So, they canceled it & put on in its place a new show called The Guiding Light. For once P&G was very right!

• Members

Back in the 70’s and 80’s, yes there some markets in the Mountain Time Zone which ran the CBS daytime feed live, meaning of course soaps like LOL, SFT, Y&R, and the first half of ATWT ended up airing before noon. There was some delayed programs along with some entire pre-emotions especially with LOL and SFT of course. 

By the 90’s and 00’s is where the situation got odd as many big Mountain time zone markets-Denver, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, Boise, Billings, Colorado Springs etc ran the CBS daytime out of order. Y&R airing at 10AM based off the 11AM CT feed, day behind ATWT in the mornings, TPIR in the afternoon. Looking at those schedules is often surreal. 

In the case of KELO you mentioned to answer your question yep in the western half of the state on MT their satellite station KCLO aim Rapid City ran their daytime line-up 9AM-2PM, with Y&R airing at 10AM based off the 11AM feed.

Of course this happened to ABC and NBC stations as well running live ET feeds so their soaps ran earlier as well. For example when I moved to Albuquerque in 1997 the local NBC station ran Days at 11, AW at 12, and Beach at 1PM; the El Paso station did the same with Days and AW but ran Beach at 10AM instead. The local ABC station ran AMC at 11AM as well. 

Edited by soapfan770

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Today (January 2) is the anniversary of the premiere of Password on CBS.

Which show had left the schedule?    Was it the Hollywood serial Full Circle or had some other show come in between Full Circle (if, indeed, Full Circle had been broadcast in that timeslot) and Password?

I do know that Love Is a Many Splendored Thing took the place of Password in 1967.

• Members

Password replaced another game show 'Face the Facts' which debuted March 13 1961 replacng the short lived Full Circle all at 2pm.

However, everything I have read has Password debuting Oct 2 1961.

CBS tried a number of shows there with little success, considering that As The World Turns was a huge success and would have provided a good lead in. It was until Password that they found a hit.

The opposition at that time were Jan Murray Show on NBC and Day in Court on ABC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Anyone else a fan of the CBS game show block of 1982-1993? These are the game shows excluding The Price is Right that were a part of the block (I included those that aired at 4 pm).

Tattletales (January 18, 1982-June 1, 1984)

$25,000 Pyramid (September 20, 1982-December 31, 1987; April 4-July 1, 1988)

Child's Play (September 20, 1982-September 16, 1983)

Press Your Luck (September 19, 1983-September 26, 1986)

Body Language (June 4, 1984-January 3, 1986)

Card Sharks (January 6, 1986-March 31, 1989)

Blackout (January 4-April 1, 1988)

Family Feud (July 4, 1988-September 10, 1993)

Now You See It (April 3-July 14, 1989)

Wheel of Fortune (July 17, 1989-January 11, 1991)

My favorites other than The Price is Right were $25,000 Pyramid; Family Feud, Card Sharks.