Days: January 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Well, I guess Alex has become the heavy is this Chad/Stephanie/Alex triangle.  Can't say I am mad about that.

So, I may be way off base here, but this story about the poison feels like a John/Marlena story that the other two couples were inserted into after someone initially pitched the story.   Or maybe even a Beyond Salem 3 plot that got scrapped or drawn out in a weird way.  The quickness of the deaths of Kate and Kayla and the marginalization of Steve/Roman's point of view just makes me feel like this was really only supposed to be a John/Marlena arc and the other women were thrown in to give them story.  It's like we are getting Kate/Kayla out of the way to get to the main plot (John vs. Orpheus and Marlena's death) instead of it actually being about three couples/three families.  Even Kristen having the orchid feels more focused on John/Marlena/family.  Anyway, I know Kate/Kayla have been part of the story since the beginning, but they feel like side characters instead of equal parts in this and it's just weird to me.  The main point in Kayla dying today was to give Stephanie/Alex angst and the main point of Kate dying was to give Lucas angst and to give JT some moments to sob?/act?/moan? for a scene.  Outside of pacing something about the structure of this story is just very odd.

@Vee Beyond Salem was better than Beyond Salem 2 unless you are big Bo/Hope fan.  It was good, but I definitely enjoyed the first one more.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This may be a very minor point, but I wish Alex had a career specialization.  We know Stephanie is in PR (although she always needs help crafting press statements which seem a bit out of date by the time she finishes), Wendy is in IT, and Chad is in management.  Alex would be helped by having a unique job within the company to make him seem more valuable than just being a nepo-baby.  I know someone will reply that Alex is too dumb to have a special skill, but I think every character needs a purpose.

On the other hand, I was surprised to see that Sloan is a lawyer.  It is rare to get a new professional on soaps these days, so it is nice to see someone who can play a role in other stories than just be a romantic heroine.  I mean its been a couple of decades and I still don't get what Eric, Nicole, and Brady do for a living.

I hope in the adjustment to Peacock we'll get more integration of stories than the previous production method allowed.  For example, it would be interesting to see how Gwen and her staff at the paper respond to Stephanie's PR crisis.  I want to know if Allie and Wendy buy Gabi's fashion line.  I want DAYS to go back to feeling as if it takes place in a community where each decision has a consequence on the other characters, rather than isolated living rooms.

• Members

They did not just potentially kill off my favorite character with only her recast son and her surrogate son by her side, though I do love Kate/Chad. Thank god they at least remembered Lucas was alive.

I need Stephanie to realize Alex caused her to miss saying bye to Kayla because he’s a jealous prick.

• Members

Sex and death. What a juxtaposition! I’m sure Grandma Jo is so proud of her grandchildren

Please register in order to view this content

I did enjoy today’s episode though. There were some really good scenes, especially Marlena/Eric and Roman/Kayla. 

And I’m so glad that the Chad/Stephanie/Alex is being written the way that it should be. I was beyond tired of the Alex propping and propaganda. Hope Alex gets his ass beat when Steve and Stephanie find out what he did. 

Hope Kristen gets her ass beat too

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

The whole Alex thing could have been avoided if Chad text Stephanie instead and explained.  Or, you know, her father made an effort to contact her.  Or her brothers.  Or anyone but Chad.  I don't understand why the responsibility of getting ahold of Stephanie was placed solely on Chad lol.  It actually makes little sense.  I have no problem with Alex being the bad guy because he is, but I kept wondering why Steve wasn't calling Stephanie himself 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

B/c this is classic plot writing. Of course Steve could have easily called his daughter and left a message on her cell phone. 

" Stephanie get to the hospital quick your mother is gravely ill. She may be dying."

It would have taken Steve less than 30 seconds to leave that message. And the funny thing is if Steve had done that and Alex without reading the message still turned off Stephanie's cell the end result would still be the same and Steve would have remain pretty much in character. I can't see Steve allowing someone else who isn't apart of his family at trying to connect his child over a major family crisis.

• Members

I still need to watch the final two episodes of Beyond Salem 2, but I procrastinate or find something else to watch that isn't low-budget. Right now, I'm binge-watching Better Call Saul and 1923, and it's ridiculous. But anyhow, I am catching up on DAYS and trying; there's little need for fanfare as I have no one to blame but myself.

So, with this motel room set, I really can't. I just can't. I'll take back all those jabbing insults I made about the garage studio apartment sh*thole, but there's no better sh*thole than this motel set. I can't. It doesn't make any sense at all. As soon as you open the front door, you'd expect to see a parking lot outside with several rusted, beat-up Dodge or Chevys. So, why is there a cute modern hallway with a credenza which appears to be kept, but then you step into this mess with the most trailer trash wall paneling and a fleeting ship painting purchased at the local neighborhood flea market? Worse, it's combined with modern art wall decor. Lastly, I don't think there was a bottle of alcohol on the table. It looked like a bottle of extra virgin olive oil. It could be a bottle of Johnny Walker, as I understand the show can't do product placement unless they have permission.

I feel bad for Li, but something tells me the writers will pair him up with Stacy, as love relationships happen so hurriedly on any soap opera. I like Remington Hoffman and hope he'll be sticking around. Poor Li, lol! As sick as these non-weddings on the show keep happening, I guess what's different about this one is that Li got dissed and so rapidly too. His ass just got punk'd.

Sloane's place looks cute and colorful, but the layout reminds me of Ciara and Ben's recent apartment but sliced in half. I don't get the Eric/Sloane pairing, as I missed it all, but whatever. I mean, Jada and Eric became an instant couple over a basket of beer-battered fish-n-chips, so anything is possible in the town of Salem.

Okay, I'm now watching Friday's episode. Like a loser, lol! I guess more sneezes are in the works. Ahhhh-chooo!