Y&R November 2022 Discussion Thread

• Members

@Paul Raven yes to all of what you said.  No build up.   Devon "lonely" while Amanda is out of town taking care of ill family in Virginia.   Abby entitled and whiny and claiming neglect - because Chance wanted to stop for a cup of coffee by himself after work to unwind before going home to her.  Abby whines to Devon and they have sex in multiple positions/surfaces of his condo, out of nowhere.  And Chance and Amanda walk in at the end of the SAME episode.  busted immediately.

And yeah Queen Mishael gets to shine on her way out.

It seems like a hastily thrown together thing to accomplish two goals, to write an exit for Mishael who wants the freedom to try other things and to spend more time with her extended family in Toronto, and to break up this Chance and this Abby who have zero chemistry.

Devon told Amanda he had no idea why this happened, he said it just happened inexplicably.

So weird, it all happened over 2 or 3 consecutive episodes.  The sudden sex, the discovery by their partners, and the relationship breakups.

Edited by janea4old

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Most of Hilary’s best written scenes were pretty much during her exit storyline. MM is habitually and consistently underutilized on this show.

Isn’t that pretty much JG’s M.O.? Remember the conclusion to the Lauren/Carmine affair storyline? It went totally off the rails because JG wanted a fast way to break up Lauren and Carmine, while making Lauren look like a victim. It was nuts!

• Members

Rey's death was sudden and random.  I don't know why they wanted to get rid of Jordi Vilasuso so fast.    It seemed like they were going to inexplicably move Rey from Sharon to Chelsea, but then they killed off Rey.

For a while, I saw speculation on twitter that when Rey died, JG might pivot Chelsea to Chance - that Chance would replace Rey.  That didn't happen then, but maybe it will now.  Or they'll move Chance to Sharon.

None of which makes sense. It's just plugging characters into spots.

• Members

So I watched those scenes with Chelsea attempting to take her own life. They were really well done indeed, even the little moment of Chelsea scanning the club to see everyone seemingly having fun while she’s miserable. Everything felt very true, and MCE didn’t overplay it or underplay it. And I saw that Sara Endsley wrote the script; she’s been an impressive addition to the show.

Amelia Heinle and Sean Dominic have nice chemistry if they are finally going there with Victoria/Nate (after teasing it with the previous actor who played Nate).

• Members

Yeah it was well written, directed, and acted!  And the show actually consulted with a psychologist. Yes. It felt real and relatable.

My main objection was that they left Chelsea standing on the roof ready to jump at the end of a Friday episode in the US.  And didn't insert the suicide hotline PSA until the next episode on Monday after Billy stopped her.  Nothing like leaving vulnerable viewers with thoughts of suicide all weekend. But I will blame the production departments for that mess.  I'm sure the writers had no idea it would air that way!

I'm just going to hope that anyone vulnerable was watching on DVR or streaming and went directly to the next episode to see her saved.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

11-7

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree. At least to the Chance/Abby angle of this whole mess. They been setting up a growing potential problem for a while now I feel. Abby was already on him for his time at work...especially because he almost did not say her family during that Ashland coverup. Then she was either always at work, or he was at work. So the writers started to give them sexy time...fine with me since I liked Chance's body. hehe. I could even say they started to hint a bit at Devon/Abby and Chance noticing their closeness and showing a hint of jealousy in at least two scenes. So at least with Chance/Abby...there was SOME build. 

Now...Devon...yeeeeeeah, I guess with all of these Neil flashbacks...which as a man who has lost his father around this time of year I have been LOVING if a bit triggering...the writers were trying to say that Devon was feeling a moment of weakness and wanted comforting. But still...that still feels odd for him. Funnily enough that is not the first time for him though so this would be in character for him. And it is also within Abby's character to act out, too. 

Sorry. I loved Harrison asking for his DeeDee to come with him and it wiped the smug look off Summer's face. And yes, Diane, you better smirk at Giggly Heffa 2. I am sorry to see Summer take her mom's side because that will make things worse. For her and Kyle. 

I never thought I would see the day where I was happy to see Michael. But that might be because he brought Lauren with him. And I love we all remember Michael and Diane are friends.

Yeah, I also have been enjoying their chemistry as well. But would they go there? 

• Members

11-9

Yeah...those episodes were on point.

I don't want Amanda to go. Or more Mishel...hehe. But she read Devon down. He is soooo hypocritical given some of the things he has done. It's what made the Devon vs Nate drama so juicy. He's NOT a saint. But MM gave such a masterclass. And now...she's gone. 

As for Chance/Abby...again their personalities shined through. I thought the scenes were real.

Victoria never does not take a moment to shade Sally. lol. But I am wondering where her and Nick are going after that talk.

• Members

I'm sure it's the show and not Jess. They just haven't valued her in over 20 years. The reason she moved is because she realized that, not because she wanted to work less. Much like Tonya Lee Williams, she's someone who basically begged for years for a story and decided to move on when that never happened. I do agree with everyone that more Jill would only help the show. She is as strong as Victor, Jack and Nikki when it comes to vets and she brings a lot to the show, as we see in her brief scenes. 

Back when Jack was languishing for so long without a love interest, I thought it would've been the perfect time to reunite Jack and Jill and finally let them get married. Then you'd have two strong heads for the Abbott family and I'd have Jack carry on an affair with a younger women to try and spark a new iteration of Jill/Katherine with that woman in question.

I came back to the show the past two weeks so I could see the Abby/Devon affair and the show has the bones of a great show. The cast is strong, they just need a passionate writer who can give them something to do. I even find I don't mind Trevor St. John as Tucker, despite him being too young for the show. This would be the perfect time for someone new to take over the show. I don't think any of the stories are that damaging, they just need someone who can write with a sense of urgency and add drama to the show. I can definitely see the Succession influence over the show, but they need to remember that this is a soap and amp it up.

• Members

I guess the change was made to a smaller set so that more permanent sets could be used in the studio space -that already happened with that set years back.

OR

The Chancellor set has been dismantled because Abby will move out and it will not be seen again. The room we are seeing is temporary.

Chance will become a member of the GC homeless and Abby will move in with Devon so they can co-parent.

Remember the fuss when the set was redocorated by Billy and changed back?

Will there be any blowback this time?

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

It's OK to have a mansion room we haven't seen -- as long as it doesn't replace the set we've known for decades. I DO think it's a replacement, though, because I've watched this show enough to know what they do. The new set is decent, but it does not speak "mansion" and doesn't reek or tradition or money. It's too small, just as the downsized old set was too small.

Meanwhile, we got a Noah's club set -- even though Noah has been pushed to recurring. That set is big for present-day Y&R, but it's STILL too small to replicate a real club. It's also garish and tacky. It's all so disgusting.