DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Members

If SNL ends with a retirement of Lorne Michaels that is fine supposedly SNL was one of the most popular things on Peacock as they have back catalog. 

I can see local stations being upset as they will get the irate calls when Days stops airing on their affiliate in September.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well when you keep Carlivati and throw Giddens into the mix, Days was bound to fail. Time will tell but a 5 day a week soap streaming is new territory. I'm doubtful that Days will last much beyond what is already contractually negotiated. My guess is that Days will eventually become an occasional Beyond Salem 5 episode arc a couple times a year.

• Members

I am kind of in favor of SNL ending when Lorne goes.  I cannot think of anyone that would be named his successor that would have the same clout with the network executives to keep the show as it always has been.  And I fear that interference will change the show in a fundamental way.  Lorne has kept the wolves at bay for decades.

• Members

Ok, With Whom we have to Speak? Leave DOOL on NBC and get Rich with Classic Episodes!!!!!!!!!!!! Please Since the success of The Doctors on Streaming The Right owners should have known Better than keeping things Hidden, I'm pretty sure a Streaming with Any Soap Episodes over 20 years old would be very successful!!!!!!!!

• Members

The SNL episodes on there are hacked to bits, although I guess that doesn't matter to everyone. At one point Lorne said he wanted SNL to go on without him, but then Kenan Thompson went out and very heavy-handedly suggested SNL should end when he retires, so who knows what they are planning now. I hope NBC will try at least one season without him as I don't think the show needs to shut down just because his ego isn't there.

As for this news, I'm astonished. There seemed to be zero notice. A nearly 60 year old show just dumped from the network. Many of the viewers will not be going to Peacock. Is this just a way for them to kill the show off without getting as much backlash? 

This is on paper something that could keep the genre going, but when you have one of the WORST HEADWRITERS OF ALL TIME there, it's difficult to be optimistic.

Still, if any show can survive into a new era it's DAYS, I suppose. 

• Members

The show has been under strict network  control before (especially in the mid-late '90s) and it benefited them in some ways as Lorne has a lot of bad habits. There are plenty who  could replace him, including some who now work there under him. The show, if it stays on, is likely going to face big budget cuts either way, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. 

With that said, this DAYS news makes that seem less likely...

• Members

I'd be interested to know from those on this board how many watch it live with commercials versus watching it on cable streaming or DVR?

There seems to be a dedicated few that watch it live daily and then post here.

However, I've not watched a soap live since the Reagan administration (since we're also admitting our age).

So, except for the fee, it seems like the same viewing experience to me whether it is streamed on nbc.com or Peacock.  And I'd rather pay $5-$15 for a couple of streaming services then $95 for a whole cable package with a with a bunch of sports that I don't watch.

Edited by j swift

• Webmaster

I don't watch any soap live on TV unless I come across it if I left the TV running in the background. I mostly watch the shows online through streaming websites or apps on TV/phone. Watch at my own pace and decide which episodes.