DAYS OF OUR LIVES Moves to Peacock From NBC on September 12

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I figured this was coming eventually, but I'm shocked at the amount of notice they're giving viewers to make the transition. They should have had time to do a big NBC send-off on broadcast and do some major cliffhangers to get people to transition. It doesn't seem like they're going to get that UNLESS they knew about this months ago which I doubt.

I'm reading that Peacock is floundering. They're stuck at 13 million subscribers and not increasing. If DAYS has been streaming well, I can see them doing this to get some sort of bump in their subscriber base. But, I really question how many viewers will PAY for the show at this point. If they were going to stream it for free to get people to the app, I'd be a little more hopeful. It sort of feels like execs are throwing things at the wall to justify Peacock. This many streamers is not viable in the long run. People are only going to pay for so many subscriptions. And, if DAYS doesn't give them the bump they need, I'm sure the show is on the way out.

The hopeful part of me thinks that this could be a way to modernize the show, its storytelling, and its writing. The Beyond Salem seasons have been much richer and interesting than the mother show. Will they allow the show to be more daring in its storytelling? But, if they're already 8 months ahead, that's way off, and it may be too late to change course in time. Unless....they knew this was coming, which, again, I doubt. I would welcome a smaller cast, stories that feel more "today" and for God's sake, less of this Dr. Rolf/mask wearing/constantly coming back from the dead crap. After a while, no story has consequences as a result.

• Members

Suds, do you have a way to download those episodes on Peacock? I had the impression by many of your posts at least, I tried 5 VPNs that Bird is Tough!

I'll say! Probably why it was so easy to get my hands on Beyond Salem To Watch! While The Mother Show has been out of my reach for months

• Members

It all makes sense. It’s not because the affiliates are disappointed in DAYS’ numbers (in my market, an infomercial always airs before DAYS; there’s basically nowhere to go but up in numbers after) and the show was already locked in for another year. This is a knee-jerk reaction to Peacock underperforming and they’re in need of a quick bandaid fix, not caring that this will kill one of the network’s tentpole programs in the process. 

(And with this, I can now fully expect SNL to go off after year 50 when Lorne Michaels retires… at least as we know it on NBC) 

• Members

To download anything on Peacock you have to have ad-free $9.99 per month service..that is also called premium like the $4.99 it is strange.

I can see some local stations as upset if Days brings people to their local news broadcasts or if someone is home and they just leave the tv on without switching channels.

• Members

What breaks my heart for fans of this show that do pay and continue on, there is a very real possibility that the streamer gains numbers from this in the short term.  But it’s got to keep bringing in new subscribers to be sustainable by corporate standards.  Which means when PEACOCK stagnates again, you have to wonder how protected the show will be.  Even in its current form, it’s an expensive show.

If they want money from me, I’m going to need access to classic episodes.