ARTICLE: Peacock Orders Second Chapter of ‘Days of our Lives: Beyond Salem,’ Kristian Alfonso and Peter Reckell to Reprise Roles

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just one of many reasons why DAYS has become such a joke.  How can you get the audience to invest in anything emotionally when they know even on-screen deaths can be reversed?  Ron Carlivati might not want us to take it all seriously, but we still have to know there are ground rules.

• Members

I am pretty sure Bo died of brain cancer.  But I do think he had something wrong with his pancreas or liver at some point.  lol  I think Chelsea gave him some of her liver/pancreas as a transplant.

I mean, he's like one of the only characters that hasn't been presumed dead multiple times, so I don't mind it.  I think if played right by RC (which probably won't happen) it could be a great way to have Hope/Bo off the canvas but for a reason.  Bo's death had to be faked because he's undercover or hiding or something and Hope has to be on the run with him.  If you can't have the actors full time it's a decent excuse for them to be gone for now.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

I wonder if the storyline has anything to do with Colin Murphy? Didn't Ron tweet something about the character a while back?

Remember, Colin was the only casualty of the Melaswen storyline. While leaving the island during a storm, he was lost at sea and assumed to have drowned.

• Members

I am not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. It was a mistake to kill off Bo, particularly when there was no good new man or story for Hope let alone solid writing. The way they were mishandled is one of so many black marks on the show (not unlike the many deaths of Jack Deveraux) and it's in their interest to fix it.

• Members

On Days?  A show that killed off half their cast and brought them back to live on an island that resembled Salem? Where entire groups of irrevocably dead people have been brought back to life by a mad scientist?  I totally understand your point and would agree for most soaps, but someone as iconic as Bo shouldn't be the lone example of THIS death on days matters.  Especially when IMO it can be fairly easy to explain away.  Kayla was the one that confirmed the brain tumor and she could have lied for Bo/the ISA for whatever reason and it was too dangerous too tell Hope and the kids.

• Members

At one point you just need to decide that you're not going to undo anymore deaths no matter how tempting it is. They can't change past decisions, but they can control future ones. I mean, they could've brought back Addie in the 80s to create a storyline for Doug/Julie and wouldn't Hope have been thrilled to see her mother back? But thank God they didn't.

• Members

Exactly. It's a little late to start grounding DAYS in reality. And even if you did reinvent the show, I wouldn't start by sealing this pointless death in concrete. AMC had the right idea when it resurrected several key people before going off ABC, then clean slated a ton of the show to reinvent it on Hulu. They had much more room to grow.

• Members

Again, I just don't think that logic fits Days.  They are re-doing a 30 year old story about devil Possession.  I don't think the current viewers of Days are going to be shocked Bo is alive.  That is on brand for the soap they are watching.  

In the more grounded early 80's on Days of course it wouldn't make sense for the show, but this show hasn't been grounded for about 40 years.  

100%.  Even if the show wanted to revamp, Bo's death is not the hill to die on for that movement.  Viewers aren't going to be upset Bo's alive lol.

• Members

It was the same principle with Will, that was also a mistake. I can think of a few others! But the point is, yes, they're right to do it especially since Kristian is, I suspect, unlikely to return on a contract, or an ongoing status that doesn't have a lot of outs or breaks like this silliness with Chandler Massey. At least with Hope you can say 'she's off with Bo'.

• Members

So start with Gwen or some other rando, not Bo Brady.

Right. Didn't some AMC character even see Jesse as an angel? And we see how that went, too. (And I was happy about that reversal, too.)

Yes, soaps used to have some reality. But those days - pardon the pun - are gone. If one wants to re-introduce reality, as I said, use the billion extraneous characters the show has, not the beloved classic characters.