ARTICLE: Peacock Orders Second Chapter of ‘Days of our Lives: Beyond Salem,’ Kristian Alfonso and Peter Reckell to Reprise Roles

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Is it possible that this story takes place in the past?

Like during the period when Bo and Hope were traveling the world on his boat the Fancy Face?

That way nobody returns from the dead, the story doesn't have to be canonical to the series, and we can revisit favorite characters from the past.  Both actors look great, so the time jump won't be that jarring, and it resolves a lot of issues.

• Members

But I really don't see this as being specifically about the strong possibility of Bo Brady returning from the dead.  He just happens to be the latest in a long, long line of characters (both on DAYS, and on daytime as a whole), coming in at the point where I have to call a Zach Morris timeout.  To put it another way: if we were talking about Laura Horton (possibly) returning from the dead, and NOT Bo, I still would say what I'm saying now: No. More.

True, character resurrections are but one of many factors that have crippled DAYS creatively, tarnished the legacy that Ted and Betty Corday worked so hard to create, and undermined the power and longevity of soaps in general.  Nevertheless, I'm left the same dilemma: if the viewers have been conditioned over time not to take anything that happens on "their stories" seriously, knowing that even death itself can be retconned, then the emotional investment is gone; and if the emotional investment is gone, then why the hell are these shows (or ANY shows) still bothering to tell stories?

If your audience can't engage with anything you give them, because they can't trust or believe that what they're seeing is "real," then you're just wasting their time.  It's as simple as that.

And yes, I am aware that even Agnes Nixon wasn't above bringing people back from the dead if it meant correcting past mistakes.  What can I say?  Agnes was wrong, too.

• Members

I don't fault you for feeling that way. But I also can't honestly say that if they decided to go whole hog, like Agnes and her proteges did at AMC, and like Frank and Ron had planned to do with many characters on GH in 2012 had the show been cancelled that year - if they did what @Bright Eyesjust suggested, going so far as to resurrect everyone from Bill and Laura to David Banning, presumably as part of yet another labyrinthian DiMera scheme against the people of Salem - and then used all that to reset the entire show, revamp the entire canvas and tone, and have these elder and veteran adult characters back as part of the foundation on a more mature DAYS with less fantasy: Would that be so bad?

IMO, it worked for AMC

• Members

I think you can still have emotional investment in a death story and still be happy a character comes back from the dead as well.  Marlena's was death in 1987 still affected me and I was super happy she came back and that was watching after I knew the ending lol.  To me, and just speaking for myself, two different things did happen.  Marlena died, people mourned and moved on, and then she miraculously came back and everyone around her had to deal with that.  

I was talking specifically about Bo.  You are talking about a much broader problem across all soaps, which I agree with.   Days has a problem with people taking it seriously, but also because it's a badly written.  Your point is correct, but in this instance I don't think Bo coming back from the dead is the problem.   It's just another problem on top of already lazy writing.  IDK, I don't think you are wrong about anything really, but I just don't have a problem with Bo being back under this circumstance.

• Members

The issue is that people will think mistakes are done even on a well-written shows. There will always be argument why a certain character shouldn't have been killed off. As I pointed out, you could make an argument for Addie returning in the 80s to stir up drama and give Julie/Doug a storyline and provide drama fodder for Hope. You could make an arguments that Isabella returning would be a serious obstacle for Marlena and John to tackle and of course Brady. Why would you stop at bringing back Bill, Laura and David Banning if a new writer decides to kill off Hope? You can just fix such a mistake by having the DiMera's do another convulted plot...

No, writers just need to learn to live with the mistakes past writers have made and make it work for them. Good writers don't need cheap back-from-the-dead stories to drive a show forward.

• Members

Back from the dead stories were few and far between until the rise of the 'supercouple'

Genie Francis and Wayne Northrop leaving had GH and DOOL leaving the door open for their return.

They did return and then it was game on.

But Bill Bell resisted-he either recast or just wrote the character off .Anyone he chose to kill stayed dead.

• Members

I was happy too. From what little I've heard, read, and seen of his character, I'm surprised he is not used more. And there are plenty of ladies in his age group I believe. Or heck, he and Kate could be a power couple...unless they dislike each other.