Y&R April 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

4-8

That was a chore. lol.

However, I hollered at Adam trying to screw over Victoria's plans when all he had to do was sit back. But...like father, like father I guess.

Victoria should have just played all close to the vest and told NONE OF THEM. Okay, except for Nikki.

Realizing I'm not liking this new Chance. Still stuck on Mr. Melissa O I guess. 

• Members

The Newmans are so dominated by Victor. His kids are chess pieces that he moves around, and Nikki is a cowed, battered wife. I prefer the layered sibling dynamics of Jack, Ashley, Traci, and even Billy. Plus, they’re all played by superb actors (again, even Jason Thompson is fantastic, albeit miscast). The Nick/Victoria/Adam trio just doesn’t do much for me, and Victor/Nikki have no siblings on the canvas now to counterbalance them and bring out different colors in their characters.

It’s just the same old, same old. Victor shouts at one of his kids for betraying the other, demands family loyalty while offering none in return, etc.

• Members

I was SMH so much during those scenes. 

She should have totally faked out everyone, but Nikki. Or better yet, Nikki would have seen through the act. 

She knows Nick will try to save her, Adam will try to either screw her over or betray her to Ashland outright (and Victor will probably forgive him), and Victor will try to oneup her because he can and hates Ashland more than he loves Victoria when it comes to business. 

She really should have gone it alone. 

Me, too!!! I've lived for the Abbotts growing up. And I loved that was reference last week when Jack was talking to Allie about what it was like to be a member of the Abbott family with their breakfast routine because there are COUNTLESS flashbacks to be used because it was completely true and not just some made-up memory as writers tend to like to do.

Same.

It should say something that through all the writing regimes in the last few years that the writers do seem drawn to the Abbotts rather than the Newmans. And that's sad because the Newmans are still written for and nothing new really comes of it even when the writers try. Meanwhile, the Abbotts could get just pieces of storyline and turn that little bit into threads of gold.

Just look at right now. The Abbotts are attached to the Diane Return Story. The Newmans are attached to the Ashland story. And one story is playing the beats for the most part and you can see the care the writers are putting into it. The story seems like people in a room talking in circles and no showing of any action or progression...like people talking just to talk rather than using the story to make some conflict. I think we can guess which story has more beats to it.

Please register in order to view this content

But seriously, just in what is going on it feels like you can tell what the writers like writing about and for versus who they don't care for. 

• Members

Same. I was disappointed there was no immediate Diane follow-up.

It was interesting watching Wednesday’s watching the the Abbott dynamic vs. the Newman. The Abbott dynamic felt pretty warm and the interaction between the four well, was dynamic and fun! The Newman’s just feel cold and icy, and the interaction just lukewarm and tiresome.

It would have more interesting if either Victor and/or Nikki have some type of inkling that Diane was alive creating at least some type of uneasy undercurrent to their family feud, like feeling distracted or distressed about something worse coming their way without letting the kids know about it but it be noticeable.

I agree Newman has done a terrific job as Ashland so far as been able to a wider range of emotions and energy than I think Burgi did. I probably sound like a broken record by now but Ashland needs additional relatives; this whole Newman-Locke story would have worked out far better with Locke kids from a previous marriage ingratiating themselves in GC as well. 

The past few weeks there’s only been A&B stories on the show, I guess they realized they rest just wasn’t working out and relegated everyone else to F and Z stories as talk to characters? LOL. 

• Members

I had to laugh when a clueless unaware Abby appeared for the first time in weeks enjoying a cup of coffee with Ashland completely oblivious to the Ashland situation. Like no one even bothered to fill her in? But yes thank god to that story being ditched. 

Devon & Amanda becoming neighbors with Nate & Elena is basically a tired sitcom plot.

Sharon is busy doling out cookies, coffee, and life advice at Crimson Lights like she is Caroline Brady or Nancy Hughes.