Y&R April 2022 Discussion Thread

• Members

Michael and Lauren had lobster enchiladas with red wine???

Please register in order to view this content

I am glad we did not have to witness a love scene between the two afterwards, because this show’s [!@#$%^&*] would really literally hit the fan.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I started watching Y&r again after about a four year break. Whenever it was they decided to kill Hillary off.  I came back for Diane, but I started watching at the beginning of season 49 (Near the Victoria/Ashland wedding).

My main thoughts after binging about 20 episodes are I love new Noah and Adam. Finally, I think they found the right Noah. I like Sally, love the actress. I hate Ashland.  Melissa O has grown as an actress. It's impressive.  Plus I can't believe how much I am grieving for KSJ. I keep expecting Neil to show up and he doesn't. I didn't expect that to hurt as much as it does after all this time.

• Members

I think she has been wonderful so far which is why I forgive the absolute intelligence-insulting two-sentence explanation of how she faked her death.
"Deacon helped me, a corpse from the morgue" ... That's it? I know the Genoa City police is usually rather incompetent but Diane was a public figure. Noone noticed the body didn't look right?
Oh and that's without even counting the fact we the audience SAW HER dead.

I suspected they would just hand-wave it rather than give us a decent explanation. I like Diane being back and I have liked what SW is giving me so far so I will accept it.
But I again see signs in that monologue that they are setting up Diane to have been a lot more evil than she was and I dread what they are intending to do with her now.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

And none of those people who accepted bribes will be held accountable? I know it's a soap but it might be interesting for once that this story be treated with some element of reality. If you come back from the dead, what sort of bureaucratic stuff would you have to go through to re-establish yourself?

I'll take MS as 'good' Phyllis for a while as she'll have to dial down her worst 'acting' instincts.

• Members

I'd genuinely be very interested in Phyllis maturing and her wanting to dial herself down while fighting her nature.
What I liked about GT's tenure is that she was sort of portraying her that way and it would have been nice for them to continue further on it. It doesn't mean turning her into a saint however.
But "I have grown and I am trying to be mature about this" while still having that bad girl fire inside struggling to get out is definitely good material.
Of course psychological drama in a soap nowadays? Fuggetaboutit.
And MS probably would play that inner struggle as a comedy, like she did a lot of time with some of the earlier Diane tension when Diane was living at the mansion.

• Members

Friday’s episode wasn’t bad at all and quite possibly was the most interesting show to air this year so far for Y&R lol. If there is one thing that the show actually excels at is the nostalgia factor. Even squeezing a 2010 flashback was smart.

One question though when was the engagement scene reshot with PB & SW? 

The whole Deacon helped me with a corpse thing was very silly but both Walters and Bergman played it well. In fact SW has done really well so far as playing quiet and haunted. Allie is a delight to watch and a breath of fresh air. And I am glad Stafford has toned it down a bit and has finally been given something interesting to do, but I definitely think GT would have been better for this story. 

Of course if they set up Diane as completely evil it would be overkill. 

• Members

LOL it’s telling that the most compelling episode of Y&R in years was like 30-40 percent flashbacks. 

In all seriousness, I agree that PB and SW played well together, and the scenes were reasonably well-written. It was sort of poignant to see their aged faces after seeing those earlier scenes (and just a reminder of how much of a babe Bergman was even at that stage). 

One good thing about having MS back as Phyllis is the wealth of flashbacks they can use. Lots of history and antagonistic chemistry to mind with Stafford and Walters.

• Members

At this point, I'd be willing to see Brad Carlton return from the dead.  They could even tie it into that reliquary garbage from the LML era, saying Brad faked his death to protect his family from the Nazi assholes who were still after him.  (Which would be sadly ironic, once Brad learned about Colleen's death.) He could explain how he didn't have time to tie up loose ends or say goodbye: the authorities found him after he had rescued Noah*, alerted him about the Nazis, then quickly staged his death.

But...if that happened, they'd probably have to recast, as I don't think Don Diamont would be willing to leave B&B at this point.

(*It was Noah whom he rescued from the frozen river, right?  Or was it someone else?)

Edited by Khan

• Members

I was quite happy for Brad to be killed off.

I liked Brad well enough and DD as a performer but Brad had pretty run his course.

Of course they could have found things for him to do - that holds for any character- but then he would have become yet another character endlessly romancing new characters or revisiting the past.

He's worked his way through Traci, Ashley, Nikki, Victoria, Sharon etc

Brad leaving town was a viable option, but then you have the task of explaining or ignoring his absence.

• Members

Bringing Diane back serves as an odd reminder of her pivotal role on the show going back 40 years. Wasn't the Diane/Jack affair the start of Patty's mental breakdown? It's sometimes hard to believe the character goes back that far, which made the MW's recasting/disaster such a slap.

SW has always been a solid actor. I'm glad the writers decided to take Phyllis on a different course - it'll play so much better if they actually follow through.