Y&R April 2022 Discussion Thread

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As always, not the show’s biggest problem, but when will they update the intro with new cast? Courtney Hope has been on the show for what seems like years and hasn’t been added. Now they have Connor Floyd, Rory Gibson, Kelsey Wang, Susan Walters, et al. Are they that cheap? B&B is super quick with updates these days.

They are playing Allie as a naive Mary Sue. She can’t be this dumb. Feels totally plot-driven.

• Members

When Mal Young updated the opening, part of the reason was so it could be updated easily. You can see that when Eileen,Beth or Lauralee appear they are included in the opening.

They need to get the new actors to do a quick pose so they can be included.

The show is so incredibly cheap these days.

• Members

I sometimes have that "I've-seen-it -already" attitude about rewatching night time soap episodes. But as for daytime, I wouldn't mind rewatching stuff that aired about once 25+ years ago. Given all shows crap state, I wouldn't be so eager to see the new content. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Same. Totally. Especially when you see how beautifully produced and written it was. Even if some viewers were invested in this crap current show, you’d somewhat assume they’d enjoy the flashbacks, given that they were rarely aired and realizing the show was shut down due to a *global pandemic.* But nope! “Waaaaah, where’s the new stuff?”  Pandering to that audience really holds the show back. 

• Members

Well at least they're enjoying the show lol. Ignorance is bliss in a sense, you wouldn't know how terrible the current show is if you haven't watched earlier material. I loved Y&R having began watching in the mid 00,  until I realized how much better it was in the 80s and 90s from seeing oldies on youtube. 

• Members

That last time I am pretty sure the show updated the opening I am sure it was to add Mark Grossman and dump Loren Lott.

Please register in order to view this content

The Diane story has at least brought some life to this show instead of the usual “Who is going to run Newman-Locke”,  “Who is going to listen to Billy’s podcast?” and “Who’s house is Dominic going stay in tonight?” crap we’ve been getting for months now.

• Members

4-6

I've said it before and I've said it again...I've been LOVING all of these flashbacks during Diane's return. Whoever went and found them so deserve a bonus. They have been so specific and worthy and definitely would not have been easy to find so I'm all for them getting. I did not see all of the Diane/Jack/Phyllis triangle Round 1 so some of them flashbacks have been eye opening. Like the Phyllis skinnydip one...and the one where Phyllis comes up to see Diane stroking Jack's hair as he plays with young Kyle. They have been oh so priceless.

It is definitely clear that the writers are invested in this story...even if the story of how with Deacon and the cropse was eye rolling. There are beats that are surely being played. Twists like Phyllis still hating Diane, BUT willing to be the voice of reason in the situation (and we know I don't like Giggly Heffa, but credit where it's due). And the foreshadowing scene with Ashley, Traci, and Billy about Allie, not realizing that Diane is slowly but surely about to come back into their lives...excellent.

But since they are clearly invested in the Diane returns story, it shows (pun unintended) in the other stories how not invested they are...cuz Nate changing careers...that is nothing but lip service. It would be something if Nate clearly was conflicted. Or what if Olivia showed up and disapproved which put her in conflict with Lily or Devon because they felt it was a slight to Neil's memory? Noah falling into a depression has potential, but again that (like Chance's PTSD) is soo undercooked. Not to mention a lot of telling and not showing. The writers did not show Jack calling Kyle...a missed beat...but I STILL feel they are more invested in that story than Nate, Chance, or Noah...and they are the next generation.

In fact, the only other story I feel the writers are focused on is Victoria's revenge on Ashland. And even that felt half-hearted given the great intervention scenes of Victoria vs everybody. Oh....off screen Victor pulled some strings to keep them in town. Oh...ok. However, we let AH play what she plays well...an ice bitca...and she hits Ashland where he hurts? But...time will tell.

• Members

P

Phyllis is responsible for just as much (or more) s**t than Diane so her taking any kind of moral ground is nonsense.

I get the feeling that the D stories -we go from A to D on this show - are basically written to fill in airtime and give the rest of the cast something to do week to week.

Job changes, health scares, misunderstandings etc